My Trip to Stoneleigh

carbeh

Well the weather did turn out nice after all the worry, and this meant I lost my sunglasses. BTW if anyhas picked them up I would apreciate them back, they have letters TH on the lenses.

I travelled down with the Manchester crew. Time does pass quickly in convoy. One of them crashed into the back of another, pride and a nosecone seemed to be all that was hurt.

Spent ages looking for the Westfield Co. stand as it had moved from its position on the map. Wanted to get a look at the XTR4. We found the stand, no car, quite disapointed.

What was impressive were the increasing number of (non maxpowering) usful gadgets. I espcially liked the LED warning light indicator display from lightning looms for £29.99. A real sign that the KIT car world is not dying but having a renaissance and becomming ever more professional.

Cateringvan Comma autotest provided some moments as number three car lost it into the barrels. The number 1 car (ginger) was very precise.

Good to see a friend with a new Club attendance, Chiltern Sevens. They were tucked out the way but looked good. Lets hope next year weather and the organisers allow them to be near the other sevens.

Lastly, when I got back found a nosecone bolt had vibrated loose. Very luckly the bonnet did not fly off!

Howard.

We had good run up from Bristol on Sunday.

Motorway to Worcester then A roads. Minor prob on the motorway for Gav with a blocked fuel breather. Solution - lift the flap on the fuel cap! :p

Other than that both cars performed faultlessly. :cool:

Worcester stop. Not sure 2 cars makes a convoy :p

(We lost Dennis at J9 of M5 due to threatening rain! )

1296.jpeg

Legs were knackered after all the walking round the show. Had a great time, but leaving the show I realised I hadn't even been into the club tent!! :(  Missed a perfect opportunity to meet others.

Trip back was 2 Westies and a Lotus Elise and A roads :p:D  Excellent!

Martin

edited for Picture.

I went to Stoneleigh on Monday, I was originally going to a classic car show at Old Warden in Beds but a 11th hour change of plan was made on Saturday night after seeing the forecast for the Sunday and Monday. I thought this was a better option as I was told the majority of the show is in the dry.

It was my first ever kit car show so I don't really have anything to compare it to but there was a disappointing lack of 'punter' cars there mostly due I guess to the weather.

There were some nice looking cars there, particularly taken with the Gardner Douglas T70 (Lola Replica) and as for panel replacement kits the Varanti looks the part as does the Aeon. The Robin Hood stand had a lot of activity, even heard a couple of guys offering to buy the whole company.  :oops:

Dissapointed that although the Westfield stand was busy it wa a bit bare with the XTR 2 and XTR 4 both missing.

The ride up there was an experience I will never forget. My decision was to go in the Golf as the Westie appears to be running hot in traffic. I had an invite to join up with a guy called Steve and some of his pals.

We met up at his house near Luton and while we waited for the others to join us there ensued a small debate about the sense of going up in kits cars given the light drizzle. Valour and stupidity won over common sense and Steve was determined to take his car.

At this point it is worth mentioning that the car is a very competitive WSCC speed series car. It is black has no carpets and runs a Hayabusa engine with TTS supercharger. I made a simple mistake and opened the back of my car to reveal my crash helmet and my 'Waterproof' coat. Ah says Steve, seeing as you have your helmet you can come with me. I wasn't really in a position to refuse, I don't know the way and keeping up with these guys would be a bit of a task even in a 150 bhp Golf GTI.

b******* it is hard to do up a racing 4 point harness in someone else's car when your wearing a crash helmet with your hands shaking!

So the convoy sets off, Westfield Megabusa with supercharger, Westfield Megablade, Dax Cosworth Turbo and a BMW 316. We stopped for petrol in Luton and by the time we came out it was p##sing down.

Bear in mind that the car is running Yoko 052's not exactly wet weather stuff, so the drive to Toddington was interesting to say the least. We hit a couple a puddles on the way and it was like the water splash at Alton Towers, with water going over the top of the entire car.

By Newport Pagnell I was very aware that I was sitting in a puddle and the makers of my 'Waterproof' coat are despicable liars.

My scientific research can now reveal that when you travel at 60 mph in the p##sing rain you get wet but at 120mph you do not appear to get twice as wet. :devil:

The clouds broke by the time we hit the M45 and Steve showed a little of the awesome acceleration the car is capable of, I didn't care by this point as my will to live had disappeared at Watford Gap, but the drying effect worked on the outside of the coat at least.

We arrived at Stoneleigh to have the embarrassment of having to get out of the car to be able to extract my wallet from my totally sodden jeans pocket to pay the passengers entrance fee.

As we parked up in the Westie area, a small crowd gathered, it is clear now Steve and his car have a bit of a reputation.

Off came the coat to reveal my tee shirt soaked through, the water proof trousers came of to reveal a soaked bum and legs and a squelching left foot. The foot had been in a puddle all the way up but because of the encroachment into the foot well I didn't notice.

Fortunately the WSCC stand was at hand, so the purchase of a club polo shirt and sweatshirt (old logo  :arse: ) at least allowed me to put something warm and dry on the top half, however 5 hours with a wet bum is not to be recommended.

Anybody reccomend anything for nappy rash?

Still while we were there the sun came out and I had a great time with my new found pals. It even stayed dry all the way home but by this time I had chickened out and was warm and half asleep in the passenger seat of the BMW.

Oh the joys of kit cars!!!!!!

Lets see some stuff sent to the magazine too please guys.   Doesn't matter if it has already been posted here too, because a lot of members don't visit the web site.   Just e-mail it to Peter.   His e-mail address is on the contacts page.   Thanks.

Neil

Anybody reccomend anything for nappy rash?

Sudocrem  ;)

I too got thoroughly p******** on up the M40. Fortunately, being a biker for many years has made me a discerning punter when it comes to waterproofs. I've just got to learn to not wait until it's too late to put them on...  :oops:  :down:  :D

the bear, well, your magnum opus!

I had edited out the rain and Megabusa from my story, but I liked yours better. Anymore guys!

When the Area meets on Tuesday next week I'll share tales with the AO.

Good show and glad to see all the other Seven's out and about.

As for us the Chiltern 7's being the first time at the show we did not get any choice on pitch, even though I asked for one near the Westfields and Caterhams.

Hopefully next year they will move us closer.

Good turn out for us on Sunday 11 cars at one stage, weather put a few off though.

cl6.JPG

cl8.JPG