• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

k+n for 2.0ltr pinto

dav2.0seiW

hello.

having just bought and fitted a set of twin 40 webers to my 2ltr pinto i came to fitting a nice new set of shiny k+n filters.

On fitting them i found that the bottom of the filters just touchs the chassis rail.The car is a 1995 SeiW

The inlet manifold was bought from westfield so i would hope that would not be the problem with the filters(carbs) sitting too low.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Am i missing something obvious?!

Are special backplates for the filters required.

any help would be gratefully recieved as i am desperate to get the car back on the road as my fiesta bores me!

cheers

Might be as simple as putting some spacers into your engine mounts - sufficient to raise the engine a tad  :D  ;)

Marks solution is actually what I had to do after fretting for ages over how others' cars were OK and mine wasn't.  I had to lift the lump but about 10mm.

Its on my site I think if you have a peek, maybe have some pictures that may help.

Stuart:D

They're very close on mine, too, but I don't think there's a spacer. (I didn't build mine - I cheated and bought it second hand! ). The manifold is "swan-necked", though.

(edited to remove unintentional emoticon)  :)

it looks like will have to raise the engine a little then.i was hoping there would be a easier solution.its a shame you cannot buy a special back plate for the filters.

i was debating whether to get someone to make a set up for me but would end up costing too much.

are similar height problems encountered with foam filters like the pipercross version on a pinto powered car?

Westfield can supply you with the spacers for the engine mount on the nearside, thus lifting the carbs/filters over the chassis rail, otherwise you could use a slab inlet manifold, about 25mm thick, then moves the carbs back into the engine bay, i've used an ITG foam filter on the westfield inlet manifold with adding the spacers under the mounts and works ok, the overall size of the ITG foam filter was pretty much the same as the K&N's.

hope that helps

Wookie

can you get away with just putting a spacer under the nearside engine mount?

does this spacer have an angled face as wouldnt the engine mount on the offside would not align properly if you raised just one side?

i want to avoid purchasing another manifold as the old bank balance has been hit quite hard already during winter modifications, also i like the idea of the filters showing through the bonnet

do you know how much this spacer will raise the filters by?

the spacers westfield supply are about 2mm thickness each with the M12 clearance hole and about 2 ½” dia.

One goes on the underside and the other on the top side of the mount, depending on how high you need to raise the engine on the nearside get Westfield to supply you with the correct amount, so the carbs clear the chassis rail, these should be included in your kit, but never are added.

I had this problem when changing to twin 45's, after talking to the parts guys at westfield I made a single spacer plate from some 10mm ali for the inlet side of the engine the K&N's then fitted fine. However, I am now making another spacer for the exhaust side as my manifold occasionally touches the chassis on max movement.

Also another thing to watch is the clearance between the oil filler cap and the bonnet if you have the standard cam cover and are raising the engine.

hope this helps

Ian