Hot toggle switch

Steve L

I have just finished installing a new factory wiring harness in a 91 Westfield. For the first time, I have had on the light switch for an extended period of time, maybe 20-30 minutes.

It is a standard double toggle switch. That is, there are 6 contacts on the back for two independent switches. All together, two headlights, two parking lights, two tail lights and the instrument illumination are all running on this switch.

I touched the switch after the lights had been on a while, and it was pretty hot. Not just warm to the touch, but hot enough that it was unpleasant to hold in my fingers.

Is this normal? Is the switch possibly defective? Are there different ratings for switches that basically look the same from the outside? Sorry, I am at work now so I cannot look for any values which might be printed on the switch.

Steve

Doesn't sound right to me. they get warm but thats usually just the indicator lamp. if its getting hot then i suspect either a faulty switch or one of the crimped connectors on the back is not done correctly !!

Was it a WF supplied switch ?

Ditto.

Also, are there any relays in the lighting circuit? All that raw current going throught he switch can't be helping things.

FWIW, my early (1989) Westfield loom was supplied without any relays at all. It now has a full set, as well as a more modern fuse box............

No relay, all the current is going through the switch. That is why I mentioned all the lamps.

Not a Westfield switch. Just a typical toggle switch that you can pick up at an electronics DIY shop. That is why I asked about ratings.

I ordered a harness from Westfield, but I used the switches that were already installed in the dashboard.

I will check the switch first for defects. If that doesn't seem to be the problem, I think that I could get a relay installed all right. The main thing is, I wanted confirmation that hot switches are not normal.

I will check this thread again later, though, in case anyone else has a comment.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I would suspect that the switch is not a heavy duty one. Suggest you buy at least 25amp if not a 40amp one and you should not have a problem.

I run a 89 SEi with the original harness and toggle switches with no problems.

I wasn't inpressed at all by the westfield loom and if i build another i will be making my own loom.

It doesn't have

1. Ignition relay

2. Headlight/full beam relay

3. No indicator relay is supplied

4. Fan switch relay

I'm no lecky but IMO relays are important parts of a wiring loom as they protect the main loom and switching gear.

Also i had to run two seperate wires for the speedo sensor to the speedo because with the engine switched on the trip counter was counting and when the engine was rev'd the speedo registered speed :sheep:   Apparently the wires from the speedo sensor are too close to the wires from the lt side of the coil and electrical magic stuff happens  ???

Over the next few months i will be fitting these relays just because i believe they should be there

Karl