DO I know what I've let myself in for?

Darren B

Been waiting years to get round to buidling my own car.  Finally sorted the garage out and got hold of all the tools I appear to need.  Just the trip to Westfield to complete.  Excited and apprehensive.   :D

How many hours am I realistically going to have to spend locked away in the garage?  Will I ever be forgiven by the other half !?!

How much of  :bangshead: can I expect to suffer?

Will I ever be forgiven by the other half !?!

No chance !!  :D

The time taken is entirely up to you really.  Getting the car to the rolling chassis stage is easy, but it's all the other bits which take time.  Lining up the bodywork (half the time taken with this is the hesitation about drilling or cutting any bits of GRP !! :D ) can take a while and things like fitting the screen, wipers, heater, etc. can be fiddly.

Basically, RTFM and delve through this site to find the info you need - it's pretty much all here  :t-up:

But most importantly, have fun !!

welcome to sh%$ville  :D

if you building a vx engined car with a decent spec engine wave goodbye to the best part of £14k,i have :durr:

join the wscc before everyone has a go at you :D

best of luck :p  :p

Been surfing the boardroom since I placed my order and realised very quickly that not being a WSCC member could get you a whole lot of banter, so joined a few weeks ago  :t-up:

Learnt a whole lot so far and hope that there is plenty more advice out there when I get  :angry: with me or the car.  Hope I can finish it before we run out of summer!

On another subject, there appears to be no rep for the club North of Edinburgh area.  How many owners are there out there who live North of Edinburgh?  I may be in a position to take up the post outside of my work commitments.

Good luck with the build Darren and welcome to the club.

What ever you reckon the time will take, double it and no your other half will probably never forgive you  :p

Half the fun is building it though, and the other half is driving it so take your time and do it properly.

Tigger

Just gotta resist the temptation to rush to get it on the road!

Cheers Tigger:)

The temptation will be great, but do it properly and you will never regret it ;)

Darren

I am also trying to resist the urge to hurry. So far I haven't bodged anything at it looks good but I would like to get it finished by the end of summer. I find that rushing any job turns it into a chore and doesn't speed things up anyway. Also far more satisfaction to be had when things are done properly and you can stand for 5 minutes admiring your work  :) . Good luck.

Been surfing the boardroom since I placed my order and realised very quickly that not being a WSCC member could get you a whole lot of banter, so joined a few weeks ago  :t-up:

You'll keep getting 'banter' until you upgrade your boardroom membership. You'll need your membership number and postcode, along with your boardroom login details.

It may take a few days for your membership details to be entered here, so if it doesn't work try again in a day or so.

Andy

Darren, You have started a massive task but as long as you can financially afford to finish it to whatever spec you choose should be fine. Expericence is also not really an issue as alot of people here didn't know a con-rod from a track-rod when they began. And the amount of help on this site is amazing.

...the only thing you do need is time and lots of it. I know there are people who build their cars in a fortnight but I believe the norm is about 18-24 months.

I started my build a year ago and it was due for completion around now but since baby arrived I have taken months off.

Good luck

I know there are people who build their cars in a fortnight ...

Hello! ;):D

Fortnight is do-able with no (ok, little) mech knowledge, but if you do decide to do that, plan a lot of late nights! I wouldn't do it that way again I don't think - or at least I wouldn't book the SVA for a fortnight after the kit collection date! :oops::D

Good luck, and enjoy it! :t-up:

Thanks for all the encouragement.  I guess I'll really get an idea of the task ahead when I see it all laid out at Westfield. :t-up:

I said i would have it ready for summer and that was 3 years ago, most of the time was money, i wished i saved a lot more than i did before i started.  I'm a bit of a tight wad, i waited for parts to come up cheap and got a few bits made.  My original budget was 6k i didn't do too bad all finished and just under 8k.  If i had everything i needed to hand and all parts there i think it would have been possible to do in a couple of weeks.  So as long as you've got bags of patience and lots of free time summer is do able.  

Good luck

Karl

Bought the whole kit in one, so hopefully not too much, if any, running around to do.  Work stops me from having the time to do anything else, so hopefully everything should be to hand when I need it.

I know what will happen.  My 2 ish hours an evening will become 4, and I'll end up working all weekend on it.  My other half really won't forgive me! :angry:

My 2 ish hours an evening will become 4, and I'll end up working all weekend on it.

Sounds like a perfectly normal build to me..........