How much for a part built Westy?

garfield

I'm emigrating to Oz at the end of June and so I've decided to sell my part built SeiW :(  I was hoping that some of you may be able to suggest a price that I could expect for it.

I collected the kit in August 2002 (yes, I know I've taken my time), and all the bits to finish it off are there apart from aeroscreen (or windscreen/heater/wiper assy), carpet set and front cycle wings. It's fitted with a 2L zetec on carbs, type 9, and 3.65 lsd. I've yet to fire her up, as I still haven't finished the wiring and plumbing, but plan to do so in the next week or so. The rest is pretty standard too, willans 4-point belts, Westfield exhaust, RAC roll bar, Raceline water rail, Dunnell sump, etc.

Can anyone give me a guide price range?

Thanks.

A well built car in good condition of that spec would probably sell for between 9000 and 10000 if it were complete (as a rough guess). I suppose you need to gauge how 'complete' it is, and how much the purchaser is likely to need to spend to complete it, and then work out a figure from there.

As is always the case with these cars, 'worth' is a very subjective term. The value of the car is basically whatever you can persuade someone to pay for it.

Andy

you need to give us a few more details, ie, how old is the engine, gearbox, diff etc new, recon or from a breakers.

Is absoulutley everything included apart from the screen ?

Hoew come you don't have the front wings ?

Price also depends on how the car has been built and put together as everyone is looking for something different. This I think would apply even more to a part built project as they might want to rip bits out and start again.

you need to give us a few more details, ie, how old is the engine, gearbox, diff etc new, recon or from a breakers.

Is absoulutley everything included apart from the screen ?

Hoew come you don't have the front wings ?

Engine is a May or June 95 IIRC, just a month or two before the emmision changes, and I've got the letter from Ford somewhere to prove it for SVA purposes so I can use the twin webers. It hasn't been reconditioned, just a cam-belt change and a lightened steel flywheel fitted along with the Dunnell lowline sump and Raceline water rail. Likewise the diff and type 9 hasn't been touched, just a quaiffe quick shift fitted, but I know the cars that these came from so personally I know (or think) they are good, although I appreciate that nobody else knows that.

I don't have the cycle wings because I sold the yellow ones that came with the rest of the bodywork as I was going to fit carbon fibre ones (tarty, I know).

Apart from the aeroscreen and carpet set (if they want to fit one), someone will need a throttle cable, filler neck gasket and pipe, air filters, side repeaters, front indicator pods, horn, number plate light and mounting plate, and I think that's it.

I appreciate the question of build quality - I would honestly say it's average to good so far!

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far.

I'd look into paying to get someone to finish it if you have time as I think a fully built car (all be it needing an SVA test) will be more saleable at the right price than a collection of bits bolted to the chassis with the tub fitted.

With all due respect it's difficult for a potential buyer to quantify what you tell him/her about the car (condition of bits ect) if they don't have the opportunity to "test" it before making an offer.

IMHO you'll be selling yourself way short of what it's cost so far if you sell as a part build/project.

I recon most people on the market for this type of thing see a part build/project as a cheap way to get a car up and running.

It's the "Ok mate, I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for £200" mentality because they look at the car and reason that because it's not finished and your selling you just want shot of it.

There are few places around that would finish it for you and it need'nt cost the earth.

Chaz.

we emigrated to OZ 6 yrs ago ,we (the missus ,daughter and dog) only lasted 2 yrs before we came back .the reason for coming back is that nobody ever mentioned that the place is full of aussies :D .my advice is to store the car in a long term lock up,wait and see if you like the place and people.when you have made up your mind either way then decide what to do.we went to live in sydney so if you want any advice about that area regarding living ,working or the tax situation for migrants send me a pm.

p.s. it cost me just under £5000 to take the dog there and back :down: a dog is for life not just for xmas :D

when and if you come up with a price, let me know.

i'll be interested.

Good luck with everything.