Next Cambridge Area Meeting (May 9th)

chazpowerslide

The details for the next Cambridge meeting are as follows.

After consulting the calender it seems we are up for a blast around the fens on Sunday 9th May, I seem to remember Mark H saying that He'd lead the run (calling Mark H, Calling Mark H.............) but I need to confirm this with him.

We will meet up at the Tesco in Milton as normal at Noon opposite the recycling area for a blat lasting for two to two and a half hours hours starting at 12:30 with a stop at half distance.

One or two of the Cambs members have commented that we need to be a bit more organised on the runs to try and stop the group fragmenting across the countryside about half a second after we leave agreed the meeting point..........

I have an idea we can try on the 9th that we can adopt if it's sucessfull.

We'll finish back at the White Horse between 3 and 3:30pm for the Quiz (you'll get to ask your questions yet Sparky) and a bevvy.

If the weather is crap on the 9th we can just go straight to the pub for the Quiz and discuss the calender for the balance of the year (Curborough in particular)

The next meeting (June 6th) is down as Punting and a Pizza picknic in the park combined with another blat around the Cambridge countryside.

I'm trying to organise safe parking for this and need an idea of the numbers involved, we can discuss this more fully on the 9th.

I can appreciate that the turnout for the 9th may be down on the Hunstanton run as many people will have been at Stoneleigh the previous weekend/bank holiday Monday but as ever the more the merrier.

Chaz

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chazpowerslide

• Martin Keene

• ChrisF

• SparkyB

One or two of the Cambs members have commented that we need to be a bit more organised on the runs to try and stop the group fragmenting across the countryside about half a second after we leave agreed the meeting point..........

I have an idea we can try on the 9th that we can adopt if it's sucessfull.

The secret to succesful convoying is to keep the car behind you in sight, not the car in front.......

That's all very well Blatman, its when you loose sight of the one in front and the one behind that the trouble starts..... :down:  :down:

I'd like to try the "biker" method of convoying as follows;

The Westie leading the run allways stays in front (obviously)

As soon as a turn comes up number two stops and indicates which way to go (in the case of a roundabout they wait at the chosen exit in a safe but visible position) till the last Westie goes past and then they re-join at the back and so on.

As the group stretches out over the countryside each driver tends to generate their own space in relation to the other cars in the group (depending on how quickly thay wish to drive) and the driver can concentrate on driving the route at their own pace without feeling pressured to keep up with the group to not get lost.

All the lead driver need do is keep the number two man in sight so in turn he can mark the next turn on the route.

The car marking which way to go can either wait before or after the junction it marks as long as it's position is safe and visible to the others in the convoy.

I think having a pre-arranged stop mid distance will allow anybody who gets "lost" to re-group and mobile 'phone lists distributed around the group, so the group can stay in touch if needed would be usefull.

I've ridden in groups of 30 or more over 150 miles and the group has stayed together using the above method.

It's worth a try to see if it works as well with cars.

Chaz

That's all very well Blatman, its when you loose sight of the one in front and the one behind that the trouble starts..... :down:  :down:

But you'll only lose sight of the one in front if he isn't paying proper attention to the 'rules'.

Andy

Hi all.

Mark H has confirmed that he will lead the run on Sunday which will be a circular route around Cambridge with a stop at a pub somewhere about half distance.

He will have some maps to distribute to those on the run so all being well we should have a good blat.

I have a write up of the Hunstanton run to be added to the area website, I just need to get round to Emailing it to Neil.

Chaz.

*starting to feel ganged up on*

i don't know what your all talking about... :p

do you want me to take a plug lead of next time... :D

I have a write up of the Hunstanton run to be added to the area website, I just need to get round to Emailing it to Neil.

Chaz

Might be an idea to email it to the mag editor as well.

Chaz

I'll be along for the blat. :D

I'll bring a fire extinguisher to put Martins trousers out before we start.  :p

Rob

I thought Anita read the map very well with her 'at over 'er eyes but one or two of the overtaking manoeuvres were, how shall we say, experimental?, pioneering?, forthright?, challenging?, audacious? No, I think we will settle for bl**** outrageous :devil:

I have it in mind to Email the Ed but I'll add the run on Sunday to it first to pad out the copy a little.

I thought when Mark H started to look down the left hand side for more overtake "opportunities" things were a little more than outrageous  ???

Fortunatly he only "went for it" on the right  :D

I take it the run up to Stoneleigh was conducted with the same gusto as the Hunstanton blat?

Chaz.