Power output

chrisbin

Finally got round to getting the car properly set up - left it at my localish rolling road yesterday. Object of exercise was to get it checked and set up right, rather than looking for ultimate power trip. I already know its quick and thats fine for now - wanted to be reassured that everything was as it should be.

Just spoken to them and he 's been having trouble keeping it on the rollers...... :0 !!

But he's got a figure of 152 at the flywheel and reckons its actually nearer 160 if he could get a proper reading.

BTW its a 2.0 zetec on 45's, but standard otherwise.

I was told that when it was set up new it gave 165 so given its now 7 years later I don't think thats too bad........unless I'm told different by one of you lot!!

Anyway, most importantly, not a lot wrong with it and he reckons its a good 'un, so thats good enough for me!!

So I reckon a result.....

What do you all reckon??

My 2.0 Zetec on (I think) 40s give out about 150 or so (according to the printout the previous owner gave me when I bought it).

Andy

What sort of power at the backwheels is he reading ?

And is he doing a proper coast down test to calculate the flywheel power or is he just dipping the clutch at full revs and seeing what it does ?

I had 150bhp at the back wheels on Friday but the rolling road couldn't measure coast down losses so, using an estimate of 20% for transmission losses this came out to around 190bhp at the flywheel, which is about what it should be.

If you're "at the wheels" figure is around the 120bhp mark then that's about 150bhp at the flywheel (very rough estimate I hasten to add ! ).

Machine 40 thou off the head and grind the backs off the valves and you should get a bit more my 1800+0.5mm oversize with 130 cams makes 175bhp.

Paul.

Hi Nick

What he told me on the phone was just as you say, that he couldn't measure the coast down properly so 152 was actual printout, but he reckoned 160 was a more accurate figure.

He's an old school type although he's got all the kit there and has a good reputation with the local rally/racing boys for carb setups.

Paul

Congratulations! First one to come up with suggestions as to how I get more!!! (B4 I asked too!;)

Engine is standard so I guess lots of options.

But as I said previously, I'm happy with it for now, and reassured that everything will be set up properly.

But by the end of the Summer.............upgradeitis....... :devil:  :devil:  ;)

i had mine rollin roaded and setup at the back end of last week.

its a 1.8 zetec, 45 carbs, ported and polished head, with fast road / race kent cams. was pushing out 152 BHP at the back wheels. Dont know what that works out at, at the fly. Is this a good figure for what has been done to it? or should i expect more?

still feels very fast so am happy with it for the time being!  ;)

mike

Mike look at the East Yorks rolling road shoot out day and add the transmition losses ie add 16-20% for flywheel.

Paul.

I reckon Zetecs rule  

160 would be plenty for me!

All you got to do now is have it sprayed red

Ahem....

VX on carbs 180 at the flywheel 145 at the wheels

Spraying it red will still not make it a `redtop`

:D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:

My engine is limited to 7200

Steven Wolf is limeted to 2070 as he doen't wamt to blow it up or is it 6900 :devil:  :devil:  :D  :p  :(  :)  :t-up:  :cool:

Paul.

Thanks for the opinions :)

And a bit of hijacking's OK with me when its roughly on the same topic!!

Anyone notice?

No graphics!!

Oh yeah, and the colour looks better I think......??

(Another satisfied "Gently Hosting" avatar user) :love:

Zetec 1800

Rebored 0.5mm bigger

rebuilt useing AE components ie OE spec bearings pistons

ARP rod bolts

Dunnell wet sump

All bolts that matter replaced

40 though off the head

The backs of the valves cleaned up ground back

Race line inlet manifold

Webber 45's 36mm chokes

Jets that Dennis Vessey fitted at the rolling road set up.

ITG air filter sepcial depth ie bigger than any they normaly make and through the bonnet

Westfield exhaust manifold but the collator part is modified to 2.5" and a teckcraft silencer

Dunnel light end cast flywheel

Standard Ford road car clutch

All balanced

See rolling road print out Here

Revs to 7200 hesitant at about 1200-2000 revs but fuel injection would fix it but who drives around on the idel jet anyway.

Paul.   Does that help.

My completely fusked VX that used 1.5 litres of oil to every tank of fuel put out 172 bhp...

The RR guys reckon the new engine will put out about 230 with the cams and ems... mmmmm :devil:

...©