Passed SVA today first time!!!

karlgurney

Just thought i would share my happyness with everyone. Got up quite early today for my test at birmingham at 1pm, left with plenty of time to spare (good job really) all was going well untill i got on the M42, then there was a loud clonking noise coming from behind me, i pulled over straight away, gave the missis a disapointed look (nothing ever seems to go right) had a look under the back end and the lobro joint from the l/h drive shaft to the diff was loose, it was hanging off!!  I made sure they was all tight when i put it together.  Anyway 20 minutes later and it all bolted back together we were on our way.  Got to the test centre at 12.30 with plenty of time to spare and relax a little.  The test went really well he was impressed that i had taken the time to cover the underneath of the dash and said the cockpit looked really tidy.  A few points he picked up were the outside edge of the cycle wings were not radiused, he allowed me to apply some edging strip, and the other thing the lecky connection on the starter was loose, he let me nip it up, and that was it really 1 1/2 hours and i had my MAC in my hand  Cheers Dave!  The examiner was really friendly, seemed genuinly interested in kit cars and had a common sense approach to the test.  I couldn't believe i had passed i was thinking the worst on the way there and drove home with the biggest smile on my face ever!! :)  :)

We should do a survey... who passed the SVA first time? :devil:   :blues:

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

with the biggest smile on my face ever!!

Very well done that man!

We should do a survey... who passed the SVA first time? :devil:   :blues:

What's an SVA ??  :p  :devil:  :devil:  :D

Suffice it to say that my car is more likely to be reincarnated in one form or another rather than me have to go through the traumas of building another one which then has to go through SVA...

the outside edge of the cycle wings were not radiused

Sorry to hijack, but something I've been meaning to ask for ages.  My cycle wings (purchased with kit August '99) have a return edge so didn't have a radius problem at SVA (+ they look better).  Having seen lots of newer motors without the return edge, I'm guessing that perhaps Westfield don't make these any more.  Anyone throw any light on this?

[ guesswork mode ]

It *might* be down to the fact that there are quite a few variations on the type of bodywork you can get from Westfield.  There are all manner of little differences or updates depending on whether you get the "kit" bodywork, whether the car is factory built, etc., etc.

Sounds like a good idea though.  I wonder if it was difficult make or whether there was some other issue with it which meant they stopped making them.  Assuming they *have* stopped making them and that it's not just something you have to know about and ask for.

[ /guesswork]

Well back to the subject, WELL DONE KARL.  Nice to see somebody else pass first time too.

So who's gonna start this survey, Put me and Karl down for a first and Leon down for a 2nd  :p  (2nd time is best my A**E)

lmao.

Tigger

Congratulations  :t-up:

I managed to get mine through first time aswell, same problem with cycle wing edges and had to cover them.  Body work variations can be a bit of a nightmare  :( I had to gently radius the back edge of my bonnet for it to pass, luckily Westfield apply a thick layer of clear laquer here so bit of fine wet & dry and a polish and jobs a good'un  :)

Any newbies out there coming up to do their SVA don't be daunted, follow the rules before you take it, go with a positive & friendly attitude (don't argue with examiner), if you can trailer it there then take plenty of spares/tools and they will give you a chance to fix any problems (a little harder to take alot of equipment with you if driving it there). Try to follow these guide lines and you should find yourself going home with your MAC certificate  :D  :t-up: