In Car Video

Bananaman

I'm planning on doing some incar video & whilest I have a Digi Vid Cam I'm not sure what else i need & where to get it from, any ideads ???

Did you mention the weight of the camera in the PM Si (bearing in mind the 'modifications' done to your camera while it was mounted on my roll bar :))?

Andy

Good. :t-up:

At some point I plan on replacing our camera with one that's got AV inputs so that I can use a bullet cam. Safer all round I think.

Andy

Bullet cam from rf totally recommended

really good picture,and lets you see which corners you

are wimping out on.. :D  :D  :D

Barney

If you haven't got a good warranty on your DV cam I would thoroughly recommend a bullet-cam (make sure your DV cam has AV-in for this) - I've seen many a camera wrecked through the vibration of these cars (and have killed two myself), the bulletcam allows you to remotely (and lovingly) buffer your DV cam from the beating it otherwise receives.

RF Concepts are the only place you need to visit for bulletcams...

I'd go for a bullet cam too. I've been using my (admittedly aged) SVHS Sony handicam on a B-Hague arm with manfrotto super clamp.

The B-Hague and Manfrotto kit is very good quality (look me up, if you're in town) but the cam is just too damn heavy and will normally shake loose on it's mounting plate within 10 to 15 minutes of trackday action.

The mounting point on the BH arm only has a single screw-in hole. I've asked them if they do one with the securing lug as well and they don't. Aside from taping, glueing, etc the cam on (with obvious downsides) I'm not sure what to do (but would gladly accept words from the wise).

Even then, I'm reluctant to mount the cam anywhere other than the rollbar within the boundaries of the cockpit because I'm always wary of losing it (and there's only so much my insurers will take) - i.e. no through suspension/ nosecone shots.

Combine that with an ever increasing no. of tracks who resent you videoing and I'd go for a concealable cam that can take video inconspicuously and have a "honestly guv it must have posted itself to the internet" type attitude.

FWIW, having experimented with the cam idea, I find it a bit tiresome now. Mount this, tighten that, press play, fix the angle, fix the zoom, then you're waiting in the pit lane for 5mins on any sessioned day. After all, the real funs in doing it, not in watching yourself doing it at a later date (by it I mean Westfielding...you smutmeisters :devil:  :D  :D ).

YMMV and I've not tried one yet but I suggest a bullet cam over a normal cam (there goes me getting a reasonable price for the arm and clamp if I ever decide to sell :durr: ).