• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

FIA Roll bar

Paul M

Does anyone know of an alternative supplier (other than the factory ) for the above ?,  Ideally one that does not charge well over £250 for something that must take them 30 mins to make and cost them next to nothing in materials.

I know safety is important and that I've only got one head but we all know that the factory have something of a reputation for overcharging for some of their parts.

Actually I don't think it's too bad considering.

It's not the same steel they use for the standard roll bar, the welding is of a good quality and when you factor in powder coating , rose joints, spacers and bolts it's not *that* bad...

Yes, you could probably go elsewhere - Plays-kool for example - but I wouldn't expect to pay that much less to be honest.  Not if you want one which is actually worth having...

38mm CDS steel tude is about £10 per meter and there is at least 8meters in the RAC bar then labour and rose joints or more labour mitering the cuts to fit and weld it up [if the fully welded type] plus the other fittings and powder coating it starts to look cheap.

How much is your head worth?

Paul.

Just been down this road for the SE

Cheapest we could get somewhere else was about a £25 saving.... and then it was of unproven source

My order went in with WSC this morning having spent yesterday looking round the cars at Croft

I spoke to a local fabrication shop with the inention of turning up with somebody else's roll bar and saying make me one of these.

the guys initial guess was the factory would be chargng circa £280.  WHen I said how much they were charging (cheaper for a narrow than a wide) he wasnt interested as he reckoned he wouldnt make any money, even making two.  I guess these things do actually cost what westfield are charging.

Mike

Have you tried Ivan at Procomp? - 0121 3503258 / www.procomp.co.uk

John

I tried him a few months back - He told me to get one from Westfield.....

Price is very good from Westfield, and you get the bits and the support should you need it.  Why look elsewhere for a part like this? :cool:

This may be a stupid question, but will the fact that I've got the long range fuel tank affect the fitting of the FIA roll bar?

As far as fixings go, what should I be looking for on the car to make sure everything is already there?

Thanks.

Andy

I don't think the tank's a problem as the long/short range are the same width IIRC all you need are some brackets welded to the lower rear chassis members for the bracing supports to bolt to - unless you're REALLY unlucky, these should already be there.... ;)

the boot box is the only thing that needs major changes plus you'll have to drill some holes in the mounting plate either side of the car as the RAC bar doesn't use the one central bolt that the 'only for show' bar uses  ;)  :D

Hmm...getting a bit technical for me :)

I never was much good at drilling holes :)

Anyone got any photos of the mountings I should be looking for on the chassis? Stepps must have, surely :)

Ta.

Andy

Andy,

the LRFT will fit fine with the RAC roll bar. Ive only just removed mine off the car to save a bit of weight.

The brackets your looking for are like two suspension U brackets that will be on the brace that goes from the seat back to to the rear chassis member at the bottom.

HTH,

ACW.

the LRFT will fit fine with the RAC roll bar. Ive only just removed mine off the car to save a bit of weight.

Does that mean there is one 'going spare' now then?  ;)

yep.

Is it a 'special price'? ;):p

*bribery mode on*

I've got video footage of you at 3 slappers

*bribery mode off*

If I can't spell, sorry.