South/Central Convoy up to Stoneleigh

sjtoolan

As the AO for Wilts/Hants, I was trying to drum up a bit of a convoy up to Stoneleigh.  Since we are way down South, depending on what route we take we may be able to pick up a few others on our way North.  

I was going to suggest meeting at Newbury - from there we can either take the easy route (A34 to Oxford then M40 to A46 and Stoneleigh) or we can wind our way across country (for example, Newbury to Wantage, then Oxford and Banbury perhaps).

Just wanted to try and gauge how much interest there is.  I can't make the Sunday, but was planning to be there around 10:00 on the Monday, so probably leaving Newbury around 08:00 depending on how good the weather is and which route I finally decide on.  Anyone else interested?

Simon.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sjtoolan

• Leon B

• jdinhants

• Blatman

As long as it's dry I'm a definate and not that bothered about the route - the quickest would most prob be best to get up there as a group. I can take the senic (sp?) route on the way home :cool: I'm starting from So'ton and am happy to meet up with others at this end of the A34 for the trip up to Newbury.

Congrats BTW, on both counts. Thanks for organising this 'cos I realise you're busy. :D

Luke

Luke, which day were you intending going?  

I agree about the motorway route if there is a large group, I just didn't want to appear too boring by suggesting the motorway for a Westfield when we have so many great cross country routes to choose from.  :)

Simon

I don't have a strong preference. Sunday has the advantage of (hopefully) less traffic and no early start the following day :zzz:

I was going to suggest cross-country would be better for Westies, but then realised I could end up driving for 6 hours - which would be a bit much with the show aswell.

Have you has any responses from the e-mail?

Have you has any responses from the e-mail?

Not many responses.  I'll be going Monday.  Gary D and Ed will be at the show, but travelling up Saturday to be there Sunday I believe.  Ron with the Yellow V8 has expressed an interest but is only contactable by phone, so I was going to find out if there was a plan and then let hom know.  At this rate there won't be much to tell him.

Simon.

Hopefully going up on Sunday and will be in the Westie as long as I get it back together. Have just put a hole in the sump :bangshead:

Was planning to go main road route on the way up and cross country back. Just depends on how much time we spend at the show. Advised we should try and be there by 10 to 10.30   ???

Happy to meet up at Newbury or maybe Sutton Scotney services.   :D

Congratulations on the new arrival.

J D    :cool:

I may well convoy up on Monday.

Why not pick up the Thames Valley groups route from the web site? There's a map....... see if you can add any parts of it in to the route you decide to take. It's a nice run, and not too many slow bits, so good progress can be made....

JD  -  Bad luck on the sump - hope you get it sorted.  

The Sutton Scotney idea is good, so we'll make that the meeting point.  It's 100 miles to Stoneleigh from there (say 2 hours), so if you want to be there for 10 how about meeting from 7:30 and setting off around 8:00.  That should give everyone time to fill up.  Or is that too early?

Leon - JD is near Ringwood, drop him a line if you plan to go on the Sunday and you could arrange to follow him up to Sutton Scotney.  Otherwise I'll be going on the Monday, just let us know what you plan to do, as if theres nobody to meet there I'll make my own way across country.  

Blatman - Yes, I did think about the A423 North of Banbury for the last stretch to Stoneleigh, thats probably the most convenient point to meet and it gets us off the motorway too.  Looks like Thames Valley want a lie in though and are planning to be there for 12 noon, so we may well miss them.  

Simon.

That, and the fact that they're going on Sunday..............

At which point will you be crossing the M4, and at about what time. That'll be the decider for me......

Thames Valley are travelling on the Sunday if anyone is interested.  Route information is here and further details, times, meeting points can be found on the website  :D  :D

We may be travelling up on the Monday from Swindon, but no real idea about times or route as of yet.

Anyone else going from our neck of the woods?

Andy

Blatman - If we left Sutton Scotney services at 8am, would cross the M4 on the A34 (just North of Newbury) at around 0830.  Thee are people from Wilts/Hants going on both days.  

Andy - If you head across from Swindon we could meet you at Oxford around 0900 to 0915.  

Simon

Hmmm, going via Oxford adds about 30 mins to the journey (according to the AA). Also, 9:00 sounds early, we'd have to set off around 8am :0

You are talking about the Monday aren't you?

The direct route (for us) might well be favourite I think, it's virtually straight up the Fosse Way...

Andy