Tyres

legineyt

Can anyone recommend the best make/type of tyre for fast road use and occasional track days. I require max.dry grip but obviously must also have reasonable grip in damp conditions. Size as fitted 185/60/14.

You'll find 'War and Peace' written on this subject if you do a search but in answer to your question I would suggest Yokohama AO32R's as a good all round tyre in terms of price and longevity for road and track use.

Richard.

32s and 48s are great as long as you only want them to last for a few thousand miles.  If you want to do more mileage, then you will have to get a tyre that resembles a car tyre and not a motorbike tyre.  In which case, you should go for the Yoko 539 - about £200 per set of 4.

Dickie

I recently replaced my tyres.  I felt that "sticky" tyres such as AO32 and 48 etc would generate too much grip and encouage me to drive too fast on the road.  The sump has been shortened but I have no idea about the effectiveness of any baffles that may or may not be fitted, leading to worries about lack of lubrication causing engine failure.  I therefore followed Dickie's advice and bought Yoko A539.  £199 for four, fitted, balanced, new valve and including VAT  from local tyre dealer  (185/60 X 13)   :D

one thing to note, once you go for A048s (or 32's) you will never ever go back.  they are awesome :)

one tyre not yet mentioned (for completeness) A021r, better than a road tyre, longer (read twice as many miles) life expectancy than the dry tyre of the A048

Mike

ACB10's are a great track day tyre but a bit expensive for everyday road use. They're not available in the 14 inch diameter Legin (first post above)requires either.

Richard.

Point taken Richard, but it may be better to get a separate set of wheels/tyres for track days. I have "standard" tyres for road and wet track and a set of ACB10s for dry track which I carry to the circuit on a frame made by Westfieldman2000 (thanks Paul).

The original post did state a requirement for "max dry grip", which always means a compromise somewhere so perhps the compromise is a separate set of wheels!

Just my 2p worth of course  ;)

Cheers

Andy