• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Is there anywhere........

Learner_Phil

My take on engines. Could all be a bit sh1te and im sure one or two people will be along and correct certain innacuraccies.  Fundamentally this is about it.

In no particular order

Pinto ¡V 2.o litre single over head cam.  Strong robust quite torqey.  130-165bhp.  Heavy.  Old.  Generally fitted to earlier westfields (but some people still fit them).  Exhaust exits on the drivvers side.  This means if you ever want to change the engine for something different other than a duratec your going to have a big hole in the side (not that that bothers me ;)

K- series ¡V 1.4/1.6.1.6.  very revvy light modern engine.  Not a lot of torque but power from 110-250bhp.  Good power to weight ratio.  Hi cost of tuning.  Bit weak. Mostly found in c******ms, a few in westies but not many

Vauxhall 2.0litre ¡V torque.  Power.  Cheap (ish tuning).  Anything from 160bhp to 280bhp.  Expect about 180bhp on carbs.  Relatively cheap considering the power.  Not a light engine but not as heavy as the pinto.  Found in lots of westies (going v. quickly ƒº

Vauxhall 1.6 ecotec ¡V apologies I don¡¦t know a lot about this engine.  I know it can be tuned to give a good power to weight ratio.  Fairly strong.  Lighter than 2lt and more modern

Toyota 4AGE ¡VStrong and powerful with nice revvy feel.  As found in the mk1 mr2.  A few in westies, about 160ish out the box.  200 is easily gettable.  Light.  Strong.  All round good engine.  Not got the out and out tuning capability of a 2.0ltr VX, but still loads of potential.  Not many in westies tho ƒ¼

Zetec 1.8 or 2.0 litre.  Westfields current engine of choice.  Light(ish ¡V not K light but lighter than a Vx).  Strong.  Easily tunable.  All the go faster bits available.  About 130bhp upwards.

X-flow ¡V standard engine of choice a few years ago (1.6 or 1.7).  Loads of them about.  Good vfm.  Lots of tuning bits.  Light.  90bhp up to 170 (if you really try and spend lots).  Cheap to repair.  Lots of peole know these engines.  Not as strong as a pinto.

Duratec ¡V new ford engine.  Light powerfull.  V. sexy.  (do you get the impression I would like one?)  tuning bits are not cheap yet, but wait a few years and I reckon this will be the engine of choice.  Exits the same side as a pinto.

Rover V8 ¡V the soundtrack.  Don¡¦t you love that noiseƒº arguably the oldest engine here.  Loads around.  Cheap to buy.  Lots of and lots of torque.  Not got huge top end power figures (160 to 200 is reasonable) but feel that torque acceleration.  Heavy.  Big.  But listen to that noise.

Bike engines ¡V different kettle of fish and the bike vs. car has been done to death.  I don¡¦t know a lot about the differences between the various bike enngine options.  Needless to say very light very revvy very quick.  Plus you get a lovely six speed sequential box included in the weight of the engine.

I hope the above helps

Mike

(ps anybody tell that im bored at work?)

That was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Can't believe how helpful people on here are. Thanks very much indeed!

Quite fancy the Vauxhall 2.0. Would I be right to assume this if the c20xe engine as fitted to the Calibra, Astra GTE/GSi etc? If so I am quite a fan of these engines as I have been into Vauxhalls for a while!. What should I be looking to pay for a resonable example with this engine in? Also, how do you think it would compare to the 1.8/2.0 Zetec engines?

I am going to take a look at the events section, but am going to try and make the trip down to Stoneliegh.

Many thanks once again!

That was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Can't believe how helpful people on here are. Thanks very much indeed!

Quite fancy the Vauxhall 2.0. Would I be right to assume this if the c20xe engine as fitted to the Calibra, Astra GTE/GSi etc? If so I am quite a fan of these engines as I have been into Vauxhalls for a while!. What should I be looking to pay for a resonable example with this engine in? Also, how do you think it would compare to the 1.8/2.0 Zetec engines?

I am going to take a look at the events section, but am going to try and make the trip down to Stoneliegh.

Many thanks once again!

Reasonable SEiW's (thats wide body with independent rear) with modern 16V engines start at around £8k.

A Vx car should be gettable at that price, but as always it all comes down to spec.

As for comparison of VX with Zetec..........Best advice I can give is DON'T GO THERE!!!!

Seriously, there are 2 camps and each will say its best....!!

Unless you are interested in lots of tinkering, then I reckon its worth stretching to a more modern 16V unit, but I reckon it will cost approx. £1000 - £1500 more than a Crossflow/Pinto engined car of same spec.

HTH

i got 215 broken ponies  :D of Vx power for 7k.  the car was a 91 SEi (narrow body), but only completed in 98.  for that money i got a reasonable car (but not the smartest) with low mileage.  plus a dry sump  :D

with a few mdofications i am now about 570kgs and nigh on 400bhp/te. (okay for a pedant its 377bhp/te, but this is pub talk ;)

if your new to this you may want to do some searching on independant vs. live axles.  most of the newer cars are independant, but dont rule out a live axle.

for photos of my car have a look at www.ne7ers.co.uk  :)

mike

that one for 6k does indeed look a bargain, SBD aren't cheap! Unfortunately, I fell like I need to learn more before I buy. I am terrified of making a rash choice and regretting it!

well when the bloke delivered my 3.9 we lifted it of the back of his pick up by hand, just two of us. complete engine, injection, manifolds, flywheel and clutch.

:t-up:

They're surprisingly light aren't they - catches out quite a few people who associate them with big Merkin V8s with cast iron blocks and heads.

Dad and I rebuilt one to go in his TR7 and it was ever so easy to move around once it was fully assembled.  He's currently putting an Edelbrock / Weber 500 carb on it - might even be running in a couple of weeks time :t-up:  Should make it even more amusing than it already is !!  :D  :D  :devil:

I am quite a fan of these engines as I have been into Vauxhalls for a while

:D  :D  :D  Top bloke  :p

What a sensible chap, welcome to the club  :)  :)  :D  :devil: