• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Your Scariest or Best driving experience

westy

I can’t be the only one to have almost ‘come a cropper’ in my Westfield leaving me wearing brown cords.  How about letting me (and the world) know your single best/scary driving experience.  I’ll compile a poll at the end of it for the best one and send the winner a prize!  :t-up: (Probably a choc’y bar or something)

Game-on

Westy :cool:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markboyce

• westy

• Nick M

• Stueyboy

3rd ever trip out, risked it on partly greasy/wet roads intending to take it gingerly. Factor in cold 032Rs and a  bumpy roundabout, my desire to hear the (bike) engine scream overcame and I nailed it out of the roundabout a little two much  :0

Result: massive oversteer, couldn't catch,  ended up 90 degrees to the road - A painless albeit bowel unloading lesson  :blush:

Heading home one rainy day after a day out at Alton Towers, took a long sweeping bend at full tilt, only to find that on the other side was a line of stopped traffic at some temporary traffic lights. The person in front kindly pulled to one side to give an extra bit of stopping space. The image of seeing their eyes wide in their rear view mirror was quite amusing. Less amusing was me providing the same image to some friends who were following in the car behind!  :D

Trip home from Le Mans last year - two Westfields in close convoy (very close at times :0 ! ) overtaking everything in sight, including a line of Porsches who were all far too slow.... :cool:

Irresponsible ?? Certainly at times  ???

Fun ?? Most definitely !!!   :)

BTW, nice to meet you and Mrs Westy on Sunday - sorry there weren't more cars around !

Going to Bordeaux in the Busa last year, met a Lamborghini Diablo and a Ferrari 355 on the ferry (all of us too low for the ramp). On getting off, once the Morgan crew had moved out of the way, we trapse off to the peage in a line.

On getting through the peage (3 abreast), the ferrari wants a race and the lamborghini says ok. I got up to about 120 first, ahead of the others and as I eased down, the other two blasted past me (god knows how fast), the ferrari (now lagging behind) swerves left and skids (avoiding an exaust silencer in the middle of the lane) and I do the same (without the skidding). Ferrari skids sideways across my path causing me to take evasive action and put her into a slide (at about 90), before the skid pan training kicked in and I corrected and came to a halt (just) on the hard shoulder about 2 metres from the front of £100k's of ferrari, pointing the wrong way down the peage with smoking tyres! (edit - just to clarify, it was the ferrari pointing the wrong way!!;))

I was quite shocked, and the ferrari driver was definitely wearing his brown cords!!!

OK what about...

Sitting at traffic lights in Baldock waiting to turn left to go to Cambridge on a beautiful Monday morning last August behind a white bedford van. Lights go green and we both go left. 50yds up the road, white van man stops dead, slams van into reverse comes back towards me trying to get to turning he just missed. I managed to stop, get it into reverse, check if anything was behind me (something WVM seemed to miss) and go back a bit before the step at the back of the van crunched into my nose cone (argh). Luckily, he was kind enough to own up and after much insurance hassle, the new nosecone and bonnet are on order.

I was surprised how difficult it was to get carbon fibre splinters out of my fingers.

Still, I can use the nose cone and the bonnet as spares in future if anyone else makes a better job of breaking them again.

Stu

Few months ago, lovely summer evening, coming back from a village pub at Edgehill near Stratford-On Avon, about 9 PM, just gone fully dark.  On a fast single carriageway doing about eighty (and a bit :D ), grinning like an idiot, sweeping around a long left hander when something caught my eye about 200ish yards ahead.  What the flip is that, I thought, too dark, quickly followed by a bl**** FREAKIN' FLIP!!! BIG DARK-COLOURED UNLIT TRACTOR TURNING OUT OF FARM GATE ONTO ROAD IN FRONT OF ME!!! panic.  Wham! onto the brakes, which instantly lock-up and pull very hard left (thank you, God, thank you so bl**** much), and just managed to get it down to about 15 miles per hour.  There was a bit of room to overtake so I slid alongside and punched the throttle - and NOTHING!  Fuel pump dead, engine dies.  Now I'm on the wrong side of a dark road on a curve, waiting to die.  JUST managed to limp and bump onto the hard shoulder (Mrs Colonial and I shaking like leaves), where furious repair work took place on the (defective) inertia switch, got it going again 20 minutes later, went home and got VERY drunk indeed!

Apart from that - lovely evening! :D

This is an entry for the Slowest accident in a Westfield.

Time: 1300hrs, middle of summer, had the car 6 months, clear blue sky, hot, sun's beating down, visibility is 10/10. Lights change to green and I turn left but have to stop 3yds behind a 70-odd seat coach which is parked on my side of the road. As I wait for the other side of the road to clear, a queue forms behind me (i.e. I have nowhere to go).

The coach starts up and begins to reverse ever so slowly up onto the kerb. I can see the driver in his driver's mirror. My thoughts are somewhat like this.

"Oh, he's reversing"

"He's still reversing"

"I'm sure he can see me"

"Can he see me"

"He hasn't seen me. He's...still...reversing"

"Horn, lights, reverse, b******* nowhere to go"

The coach kisses the nearside cycle wing against the tyre (later assessment shows the gel coat cracked and the cycle wing more ovoid than before). He also pushes the nosecone back and left, ruining that gel coat. Thankfully he stopped with the kissing, any further and I'd be in real trouble.

Then he moves forward slightly. Nobody saw it, not the driver behind, no pedestrians, no coach passengers, not even the other coach driver (from the same company) who was looking directly at the accident as it occurred (w**ker).

My word against his, therefore no insurance money, no new cycle wing (anybody who wants to inspect the damage it's still on my car).

Ironically, if he had carried on going and rendered my car unmoveable, I'm not sure if they would have been able to deny responsibility (for one thing, the queue behind me would have got irate enough to get out of there cars and come and be material witnesses). However, I'm just glad to have her intact.

Want to here a contradiction, the name of the company who owned the coach was "Skills Coaches". Close, but no cigar.

Sounds chillingly similar to the accident I had. I was lucky that my assailant admitted liability. Mind you there was more damage. I had the same chain of thoughts going through my mind tho'

OK OK,

This was a real bummer, we were coming back from Santa Pod in October (having just whipped Chris' bottom on the track - love the Avatar by the way) in a line of Westies, one of the other chaps and I were going to peel off to have a drink in the pub.

The A509 from Olney to Newport Pagnell is a dual carriageway down a hill (a road I know well), so as you come up to the roundabout (that is incorrectly sign-posted as a straight piece of road) you are going quite fast - not a problem methinks as I apply the brakes and move into the inside lane.

(What you don't know at this point is that that the intelligent council have purposely put in a massive right-hand kink at the bottom of the dual carriageway as you come onto the roundabout followed by the (sharp) left round the roundabout - meaning there is a bl**** great chicane at the end of a dual carriageway (that you don't know about because all the signs have been knocked down by people in accidents).

I knew about this because I live 500m from the roundabout, so was slowing down, when one of the other westies (not in the loop) was blinded by the setting sun and wham went straight through my font end as I took the bend to the right, forcing me onto the grass (through a high kerb) at 50 - 60 (boom - bye bye sump, wheels etc). He went slamming across the wet grass (wheels detatch) across the road infront of the roundabout (sump grates against tarmac) and into the roundabout at about 50 odd (by now). The roundabout launches him 2.5 metres in the air and he does a half-turn and finished in a bush ontop of the (really big) roundabout.

Not nice seeing your friend whirling through the air and whacking into a bush - luckily no-one was hurt (THANK YOU Westfield)

The policeman that turned up told us that a car finishes on the roundabout every 3 days and the signs keep getting knocked down due to it being a dangerous road (hence it is turning into a 40 zone) and sure enough as we watched from the centre of the roundabout a beemer nearly mowed us down as he fish-tailed around almost losing it.

Happy now Chris? See you at the meet.

Midds