Weighing Winston

Stuart Davis AO - Devon Cornwall & Somerset

1 hour ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Oh yeah, I've also replaced the large and heavy fire extinguisher with a Fire Safety Stick, that's saved me 3.4kgs. It's all adding up @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

That's nothing. I've replaced bone with Titanium plates and screws, though that's maybe a bit hard-core for some. 

• Haha 2

I've just been reading this thread with much interest as I finally got round to doing the full geometry set up on my car today, which revealed the weight, something I had always wondered. 

Went to see our local expert just round the corner from Castle Combe where I'll be testing out the new set up tomorrow. 

20240819_093253.thumb.jpg.e5ead8559839453a76c1d6a4245ecf47.jpg

20240819_093545.thumb.jpg.39b579c58825b1fad901d142f3e68709.jpg

20240819_143745.thumb.jpg.a3feb26fa461ff64f047b6925b9aaef8.jpg

Really pleased with the new set up, just on the drive home it felt vastly improved. 

So it weighed in at 650kg, which is pretty much where I was expecting,  bearing in mind I've got everything  - full cage, carpets, heater and all the creature comforts etc. I worked out that I'm at 285bhp/tonne which makes me smile. 

Will probably look at weight saving ideas in the future but I need to start with the driver first to make it worthwhile 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart Davis AO - Devon Cornwall & Somerset said:

Any idea how a 1.7 crossflow compares with that?

Hi Stuart

Other than a lot heavier no idea. What I can tell you is that as well as the sigma car we had a family 1700cc crossflow westfield, the handling was chalk and cheese. The sigma light and nippy the weighty crossflow didn't like like turning in!

Gary

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GaryH said:

Hi Stuart

Other than a lot heavier no idea. What I can tell you is that as well as the sigma car we had a family 1700cc crossflow westfield, the handling was chalk and cheese. The sigma light and nippy the weighty crossflow didn't like like turning in!

Gary

Interesting. Mine turns in just fine 😊. Will do some googling and see what the weight difference is.

EDIT Easier said than done! Seems very hard to find a like for like comparison eg with/without ancillaries, flywheel, clutch etc etc. I’ll keep trying….

2 hours ago, Stuart Davis AO - Devon Cornwall & Somerset said:

Any idea how a 1.7 crossflow compares with that?

Nope - I just googled the earlier info purely out of interest 😁

Found this, which assuming the 90kg weight I found for a Sigma is fully dressed makes the Crossflow 20kg heavier….. roughly.

IMG_1709.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stuart Davis AO - Devon Cornwall & Somerset said:

Interesting. Mine turns in just fine 😊. Will do some googling and see what the weight difference is.

EDIT Easier said than done! Seems very hard to find a like for like comparison eg with/without ancillaries, flywheel, clutch etc etc. I’ll keep trying….

I suppose my turning in opinion is relative to us as a family comparison. The crossflow car was set up to the Westfield-world.com geometry data, and drove well. However, 115bhp for the heavier crossflow compared with 142bhp (by Troy at NMS) for the sigma and lighter weight, just made our sigma much more responsive than our crossflow.

Interestingly the Westfield sigma weight compares well with sigma Caterham weights given in the chart earlier in this thread.

Gary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GaryH said:

I suppose my turning in opinion is relative to us as a family comparison. The crossflow car was set up to the Westfield-world.com geometry data, and drove well. However, 115bhp for the heavier crossflow compared with 142bhp (by Troy at NMS) for the sigma and lighter weight, just made our sigma much more responsive than our crossflow.

Interestingly the Westfield sigma weight compares well with sigma Caterham weights given in the chart earlier in this thread.

Gary

Too true. I’ve only got my car as a reference; to me it feels pretty agile and responsive but obviously I’ve not driven a Sigma engined car. Mine is nominally 135bhp though not been dyno’d so not sure what it is actually putting out, but it is fairly minimalist and pretty light which helps it feel fairly perky.

On 18/08/2024 at 23:07, Kingster said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cfcd4c69820851a691817349fb07695a.jpeg

this was mine - pretty happy with that considering it was a 2.0 zetec with a full cage. 

What was the spec of this that got it down to that weight?  I’m trying to reduce the weight in mine as much as possible

29 minutes ago, Mat Jackson 1975 said:

What was the spec of this that got it down to that weight?  I’m trying to reduce the weight in mine as much as possible

That's the weight with him sitting in it.  He's a wee racing snake.

2 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

That's the weight with him sitting in it.  He's a wee racing snake.

🤣🤣 I wish!

2 hours ago, Mat Jackson 1975 said:

In terms of weight saving, the big items were the alloy bellhousing, 13” cxr rims, lithium ion battery, jk seats (not as light as carbon though!), carbon bits (dash, aeroscreen, cycle wings), alloy uprights and hubs, wilwood calipers, digital dash (replaced 5-6 gauges and lost a big chunk of wiring) and no screen/wiper/heater gubbins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kingster said:

🤣🤣 I wish!

In terms of weight saving, the big items were the alloy bellhousing, 13” cxr rims, lithium ion battery, jk seats (not as light as carbon though!), carbon bits (dash, aeroscreen, cycle wings), alloy uprights and hubs, wilwood calipers, digital dash (replaced 5-6 gauges and lost a big chunk of wiring) and no screen/wiper/heater gubbins. 

Is this what your car looks like?

racer-in-a-car-seat-holding-a-steering-wheel-and-smiling-at-camera-isolated-on-white-background-2WKAY20.jpg

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Is this what your car looks like?

racer-in-a-car-seat-holding-a-steering-wheel-and-smiling-at-camera-isolated-on-white-background-2WKAY20.jpg

Gawd no! You seen those hyowdge wadgy chavtastic wheels 😳