• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

O/T Dead Peugeot 2.0l

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

My son's 306 XSi Pug has had the benefit of losing all its engine oil.  :down: It currently resides in the workshop of a Peugeot main dealer in Wimbledon who's put on his black cap and declared it dead, an ex-Pug, gone to meet it's maker, stuffed, etcetera. I haven't heard it but when the oil is replaced and the filter (that came undone) is replaced it runs but with some mechanical noise. The dealer says it's a recon motor that's needed at £3000+  :oops:

Now, as t'was I wot fitted the filter, the buck stops at my bank account, despite son's protests to the contrary. He says I did it up tight so it's just bad luck. Anyway, I am not willing to put £3k into a car worth a mere £4k but there's a little long established engine builder called Naismith Engineering nearby in Wimbledon and, on the phone at least, they reckon it could simply be main/big end shells and the hydraulic tappets clattering due to loss of oil supply - it's all peeing out from shot big end/mains and the pump can't keep the pressure up. Now that makes a lot of sense but I don't want to put it into the hands of a back street wally and compound the trouble. But it would be a lot less than £3k if they're right. ;)

Does anyone either know this firm or have any insight into what fails first when a 16V Pug runs out of oil but doesn't actually seize?  ???

Answers on a cheque made out to .....

I'd have though one of these drive in/drive out engine re-con places would be a better bet. There are lots in E&M/Autotrader......

Thanks, Blatters. I'm not sure that Naismith isn't just such a place but they advertise themselves as "race engine builders" for "short oval racing". The attraction is their location, within a mile or two of the car's location. I shall look as you suggested, though and see if there's just such a place in SW17/19

Thanks again :)

We (main agent for Jeep) rebuilt the top end in a 4.0 6cyl Cherokee which when finished was started up and obviously needed a bottom end done as well since the stupid woman had run it too long with the needle in the red on the temp gauge  :p  anyway, we ended up doing 11 hours plus parts and @ £68/hr it came to about £2.5k so at 'backstreet' labour rates I'd reckon you'd certainly see a fair amount of change from £3k  ;)  - never heard of Naismith though...why don't you go and see what their workshops like  :t-up:

A work Collegue recently put a massive hole in the sump of my S4 and drove it till the light came on . It got recovered to the dealer who told me that both turbos bearings were shot and the engine was cooked, big ends knackered etc, new Engine mate 13K might as well write the car off.

Once the insurance company got involved this got upgraded to a new sump and a fill of oil and the old cars running just like before and it's done another 12K miles since.

So I'd suggest you have a listen to the car yourself before getting too excited. If it is deffo a problem then I'd look at a recon or a scrappy motor. there are loads of 306's in scrappys nowdays.

It might be worth trying 1st Choce spares to check price and availability of an engine. I used them when my VX unit expired and got back about six quotes for next day delivery within two hours.

You just need to provide your car spec and contact details and the dealers text you quotes to a mobile.

Find them here 1st Choice

Richard

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. I have requested a price from 1st Choice and I am no longer rocking gently in the corner, thumb in mouth! Aforementioned son and I will recover the car from the main dealer later today - they're certainly not getting £3k off me. The scrappy route is an option but there are few 16V models there yet, I think.

We'll judge what it sounds like and then act accordingly but a recon from somewhere local to SW17 seems the easiest route if it really is stuffed. Depending on 1st Choice quote, of course.  :cool:

Well, chaps. I went to sunny Merton yesterday and towed the car away from the main dealer. Towing in sarf Lunnon is a bl**** nightmare!

We decided, on the strength of the difficulties of towing it too far, to go to Naismith in Wimbledon for an opinion; that's very close by. Started the engine with their man John standing by. At first it sounded absolutely normal but when revved there was a hard knock from deep within. puke04.gif

John's view was that it was a big-end or main - the former I reckon - and that if we're lucky it could just be bearing shell replacement. He said he would put it up on the lift and drop the sump to inspect it. If it was just shells he can do that in situ. If, however, the shells have grabbed the crank and moved in the con-rod, damaging the con-rod in the process, it would be an engine-out job 'cos con-rods can't be removed with the crank in place and it's easier to drop the lump out. So it's a gamble: if it's shells it's cheap, if it's crank and/or con-rods it's not. He won't fit a cheap recon engine 'cos he says he's had too many problems with them and the sums don't add up if a proper job has been done on it, so a total bill of £2k is still a possibility if somewhat unlikely. It did sound like only one bearing and I am hoping that this suggests that the damage is marginal. The workshop looked workmanlike even if it was a bit gloomy inside. Engines in various states of refurb were around the place so it all looked kosher. I was also invited to go in when they've got the sump off to see the extent of the damage for myself - fairly encouraging. ???

Watch this space..... :0

edited for typos.  :oops:

• 1 month later...

Update: Naismith took the sump off and found that number four big end was run and the shells had spun in the con-rod damaging that, too.  :arse: So, they dropped the lump out an stripped it, ground the crank, fitted a new conrod and full set of main and big end shells, changed the clutch, and popped it back in. There were a couple of other things needed; new water pump because it was known to be leaky, and according to Naismith, the oil pump had chewed on bits of metal which damaged that as well. I have no way of knowing if that was the case but they seemed honest in all the other matters. The bill, with new brake discs and pads and a little bit of other stuff came to a shade over £1800  of which the engine damage alone accounted for about £1300 :( . But, from the Pug dealer it would have been over £3000 for the engine alone.

My only negative comment, apart from the cost of major work like this, is that they didn't fit the power steering pump properly and it tried to shed the drive belt. Other than that, a very workmanlike job IMO. How long it will run well only time will tell.

Hi MOTCO

When I lived in Wimbledon in the '60's, Naismith Engineering (and it must be the same company) had quite a good reputation rebuilding engines etc..  I seem to remember they prepared engines for the local stock car boys who used to race at Plough Lane.

Hi Bob,

Yep, it will be the same company - they've been around for 50 odd years. I think that "short oval" racing that they prepare cars for is, indeed, what you and I know as stock cars. When my lad was a student at St George's Med School and staying in the halls off Garrett Lane, you could hear the stock cars at Plough Lane from his room on a Sunday evening. It's good to know that a competent company still exists! :)

You could ask on the peugeot club web site for info and may find a second hand engine/donor car on there.

www.peugeot-gti.net