SVA police inspection?

Stumpy

Just read about needing a police inspection for SVA and registration have I missed something obvious or what,

I am in the Wakefield area and have done a search aswell but no specific information.

Got SVA booked for 27th April in Beverley.

What sort of build are you doing?  Im having to get the police inspection as Im going for a q plate and have soruced parts from various donor vehicles.  If you have all new parts you dont need the inspection i think, def dont need it if you're using 1 donor vehicle and transfering the plate.

Stumpy,

This is to do with registration.  You submit your paperwork to the DVLA local office, and they may choose to inspect your car to check that everything is as you have said - i.e. check engine numbers, chassis numbers, all new parts, etc - before issuing you with the appropriate registration/docs.

Have to admit I'd never heard of this being done by plod before...

moomin

I thought a plod inspection was an alternative to taking your car to your local registration office.  Not known anyone use the plod yet though - Leon you're the first I've heard of!

I just thought it was optional - ie if you couldn't get your car to the reg office.

Mike

Its a different process in different areas as Moomin says, in my region the police come out, others the DVLA themselves inspect the vehicle.

Must be because my local DVLA station is situated on a road you cant really get to.  :p

Could someone who has gone through this procedure post the definitive answer to this on the website?  

I assume what you are describing is the inspection aspect of registration where the serial numbers of the engine and chassis are checked against your documentation.

FWIW, in the Midlands at least, the inspection is carried out by the DVLA after an appointment is made.   The letter they send confirming the appointment is also authority to drive the car to and from the DVLA inspection providing all your other documents are in place (MAC certificate, insurance, MoT test certificate, V66 etc).

Errr I already did!  There is no definitive process, each local DVLA office may be different.  It is up to them whether you have to have an inspection or not, and it is up to them whether they do it or they get plod to do it.

moomin

There is no definitive process, each local DVLA office may be different.  

Totally agreed on this, bit like the whole SVA process really which seems to be a game of luck on the day.

I phoned three VROs just before my SVA to see what each had to say.  I started with Bournemouth (my closest) and for some reason they use their local Police Station to do the checking of engine/chassis numbers etc.  I spoke to the Police officer responsible, and they said it could take up to 4 weeks as there were only a couple of officers and they had other things to do etc.  So I tried Portsmouth, who couldn't guarantee an inspection the same day.  Now having just spent months building the car I was keen to drive it and not wait any longer.  The final office I tried was Oxford, and apparently it was possible for them to come out and visit the car rather than the car be taken to them.  For me though, becasue I was so far away they wouldn't come out that far, but once I had some official appointment card from them I was legally allowed to drive it on a pleasant run across country to them.  They did the whole process there and then, only problem being that parking in the middle of Oxford is a nightmare (actually parking for most of the VROs seems to be a problem).  

I guess the moral of the story is phone around if you don't want to wait, and be prepared to drive it somewhere else.  Actually you can't simply phone around because you have to go through the main office at Swansea everytime I think, but don't get me started on that.

Simon.

In fact, I can't resist about the Swansea thing.

If you do wish to phone a few different VROs, you will find that their individual phone numbers are no longer listed anywhere (or weren't this time last year, 2003).  All you get is one central number for the office in Swansea.  However, I couldn't get the Swansea to connect me to any of the local offices directly, they just refused.  The best they would do was fax a message with my telephone number to each of the VROs I wanted to speak to, and then I had to sit and wait and hope that the local VROs would phone me back.  With todays communication systems, I thought this was a brilliantly simple solution.  Once I got through to the local VROs I found them all to be extremely knowledgable and helpful though, albeit with slightly different interpretations of the rules (eg the police inspection bit).  So you might have a bit of running/phoning around to do, but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Simon.

Thanks for that Simon, stuff like this is useful for the FAQ section, so anyone elses experiences regarding SVA and registration issues would be very welcome.

You will probably find that it does vary slightly from area to area but generally speaking vehicle inspectorate/vro will probably only want police to check it if you have sourced parts that have had numbers ground off by some tealeaf at some time in the past ie engines,to make sure they are not still shown as nicked.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my inspection last friday, 2 officers came round in overalls and checked everything I had put down on the self build for was correct.  They were nice guys and very interested in my build, said they see some real hash jobs from time to time and it was good to see a good one :D

Apparently the police in my area (Dorset) work closely with the VRO and thats why they carry out the inspection.

All going well I should be on the road by Wed :D:laugh: