• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

tin top

wrightster

ok looking for a new motor i have narrowed it down ( ithink ) to a pug 306 xsi or a golf mk3 8v gti (low miles) anyone any opinions/experiences of mk3 8v gtis , i have prev owned 3 mk2s (1 16v 28vs)

french V german - hmmm

TIA

golf mk3 8v gti
Heavy not so fast/exciting & reliable.

pug 306 xsi
Light'ish, fast'ish good haneling & reliable(???)

Just depends what you want Fun or reliability?

Andy :zzz:

Get the Pug.

If you have owned Mk2 Golfs, you will probably be disapointed with the performance/handling of the Mk3.

Handling and performance of the Pug (especially 16v) are great, handling wise possibly awsome in the right hands. The ultimate steer with the brake and throttle FWD car.....

What about a VTEC powered Honda. Not the best handling cars ever, but who cares when the engine 'wakes up' and revs to silly speeds, and totally reliable?

'Kin great fun :devil:

Cheers, Stu.

had a 306 GTi 6 a while ago. 200bhp, six speed box nice close ratio.

although did have a 200 SX (R reg) before the peugot. what a riot that was !!!!! same power as the 306 but rear wheel drive with LSD. good for 155mph top end but eat tyres.

although if you need to get anyone bigger than tom thumb in the back of the nissan forget it, if you want to get more than a bag of crisps in the boot and if youre over 6' tall forget the nissan.

still say 850 T5R volvo though :0

fat golf.... slow but well made. last forever.

s***ty french build quality but quicker, esp turbo diesel. i have heard of these being easy to break in, they bend the tops of the doors back without breaking the window!!??

as for spares "german and swedish" is now "german swedish and french" so no probs there.......

i like the honda engine also, but u do have to wind it up till it sounds like your gonna break it. be nice in a westy........... hmmmm i've just had an idea!

What about a VTEC powered Honda. Not the best handling cars ever, but who cares when the engine 'wakes up' and revs to silly speeds, and totally reliable?

My tin-top is an Accord Type R. My mother-in-law was in it the other week and commented that "..it sounds as if it is going to blow up..." when the VTEC power band cuts in ( at 6000 RPM for the absorbant pant wearing people out there)

Probably not as cheap as the two you are considering but twice the fun and twice as fast if you are brave enough to keep it above 6000 RPM from 2nd to 4th gear

Hmmmm

Stu