Zetecs 1.8 or 2.0 ?

judder

Looking at two westies at the moment, one a 1.8 zetec and the other is a 2.0, is there any ups/downs to these ?, thanks

If you're comparing like for like, the 2.0 litre will generate more power than the 1.8. However, there's a lot that could be done to a 1.8 that would make it generate more power than a 2.0.

I think a 1.8 on standard ignition is about 115 BHP, rising to about 130 on carbs / throttle bodies. A 2 litre on carbs will produce about 150 BHP.

Obviously this assume both engines are otherwise standard (no changes to cams and the like).

What's the rest of the spec like for the two cars? There's more to a Westfield than just the engine.

Andy

Iv'e yet to see the cars in the "flesh", but i have a picture of the 1.8, It was a factory built car, has a few details that I like and I beleive it has fuel injection. The 2.0 car I can't say much about that as I have no picture and I cant phone the guy until Monday ( its on autotrader the one from Picadilly Cars).

The standard injection produces less power than the other two options (carbs and throttle bodies). You really do need to compare the full spec of both cars though.

Andy

IMHO, if the two cars are close to identical, get the 2.0l.

However, there's a lot that could be done to a 1.8 that would make it generate more power than a 2.0.

Doing the same work to a 2.0l motor will release more power too. a 2.0l will *always* have the edge if everything else is equal. There's no replacement for displacement.....  :D

Doing the same work to a 2.0l motor will release more power too. a 2.0l will *always* have the edge if everything else is equal. There's no replacement for displacement.....  :D

Agreed, but what I meant was it'd be possible to buy a 1.8 car that produced more than a 2.0 litre one, not that he couldn't modify it later to produce more.

We really need to know the full spec of each car to recommend one or the other. However, if they were both similar in terms of the work done on the engine, then obviously go for the 2.0 litre one.

Andy

Well, it looks like I'll see both this weekend. So far I know that the

1.8 is -

Factory built 1997, Contoured Dash, Locking boot box, Full tonnaue(KANT SPELT THUS) Full weather gear 14000mls, £8K

2.0l -

1999 T reg, 4000mls, £9K

Tonneau :)

If the car is factory built, I think it'll be on standard Ford injection. That'll put it around 115 BHP I think.

Not sure about the 2 litre. If it's on carbs / throttle bodies you'll be looking at nearer 150BHP.

Andy

If it’s a T reg I think it’s unlikely to be on carbs, as it should be running a cat.

Well spotted :)

Would a 2.0 litre have been put together with standard ignition do you think, or would it be on throttle bodies?

With standard ignition I guess you'd be looking somewhere around the 130BHP mark then?

Andy

Could be a pre '95 2.0l too, so no cat required. Likewise, it could have been SVA'd with an entirely different engine to..... er...... "help" with emmissions compliance...... There are lots of reasons why a 2.0l Zetec can have carbs, and not need either a cat, or an emmissions check at MOT time.......

If it were a pre-95 engine, could it be on a 'T' plate though?

Mine's a 1997 on carbs, but I think that was pre SVA, so that explains that I think.

Andy

If it had to have a cat for SVA then I think things could get difficult at time of MOT. In order to get a new reg plate I thought that the car had to be built from new parts thus requiring a Cat. If the engine has been change after SVA it will still need a Cat to get it through an MOT or a bent MOT :( . You also run the risk of roadside emissions checks. ???