Running slooooooow again…

Captain Colonial

All I can say is we are aware and trying to fix, but nothing obvious is jumping out. 

Will likely need to see what the forum software vendors come with. 

OK again for me. Intermittent faults are the hardest to find though

20 minutes ago, Stuart said:

OK again for me. Intermittent faults are the hardest to find though

The worst I would say, one minute there, the next gone.... seems ok right now though - can't be helped maybe a patch is required somewhere, reminds me of the old days. 

On 25/05/2024 at 14:24, Captain Colonial said:

Anyone else got a very slow forum?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Yes, it was very slow all day yesterday for me. Seems good again now though 

The second hamster obviously wasn't as fit as the first one and stamina lacks a bit.

We are back to slow mode, I have been trying to work out what the times are for this, so far it's mostly mid- afternoon for us in the UK, and after 12 midnight some days , I thought it was online users perhaps slowing the server down, but I don't think it is now. Odd how a software bug appears to be timed in some way unless as was mentioned there is a regular automatic clean up/ re-sort of posts etc. The forum of course still operates fine, just very slowly. 

As I said, it’s something we are aware of and trying to sort. Because it’s intermittent it is the worst case scenario for bug hunting. 

Please bear with us, appreciate all the info and we are on the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lightning fast on Windows an hour ago but slow on Android now

We are going to have to bide our time Stuart, we await an update or patch or other fix as it seems nothing is obvious back stage as it were. I have been here myself in the past, its a real pain but you are in the hands of the forums software, so not a lot admin or users can do . At least it works though, could be far worse.

• Like 1

Likewise, I hope the WM, is not getting annoyed at the same posts all the time that's all. Been a long time since I was responsible for a forum, but its not an easy job, and often is a thankless task. I am being my usual geeky self and noting the slow periods in order to find a pattern and then head off to invision to see it others report the same thing.

2 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

am being my usual geeky self and noting the slow periods in order to find a pattern and then head off to invision to see it others report the same thing.

Very happy for you to do that and please report back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Lightning fast on Windows an hour ago but slow on Android now

I've only ever used it on Android and it's normally pretty quick but atm it is very slow again. Good luck finding the issue guys, I'm afraid I'm of no use whatsoever with this one. 

I only use win 10 for the forum, my skin issues at times prevent me using the iphone. But yes same for me, the times today have been all over the place, not at all consistent , what's more the delay times differ from instant to 10 secs and anywhere in between. I did read a post over on the invision site before that mentioned disabling any plugins and reverting to default themes if using different, but I don't recall any news on changes here so doubt its that, but could be?. The post I read was from about 10 days ago and was a private server where the admin had been monitoring the traffic and seen nothing odd. I am in tomorrow, but out all day wednesday ( new car collection) so anyone having issues post here and I will log those times as well. Maybe there is no pattern, but I like to see if there is.

Pretty certain it is down to the MySQL database rather than any plug-in or theme. The server logs show the MySQL process randomly using huge amounts of CPU taking it up to 100% which explains why things run slow. 

This might be a consequence of the forum software performing a pre programmed task, or it could be a complex search or maybe a bug in the code that gets stuck in a loop. 

It’s not one of our own regular automated backups though as they happen at 2am every day and the slowdown is happening outside of that. 

• Like 3

IMG_1166.gif

It’s the only way to be sure.

• Haha 2