Intrepid, stupid or both?

Stuart Davis AO - Devon Cornwall & Somerset

Doesn’t feel like it sometimes Dan 😴. My days in Dartford always involve a lack of sleep and a lot of miles but somehow I manage.

First leg completed successfully, a good run up, no rain, just some damp roads and normal M3 and M25 jams in the roadworks. Stopped for a top up in South Petherton then Fleet Services. Some fun on the A303 and the last stretch to work which is actually in South Darenth, not Dartford. I set off at a bit before 5am, and got into the office at 7.50am, roughly 3 hours with stops which is ok, particularly given the normal Westfield phaffing at stops, getting in and out with the roof on etc.

Just need to stay awake in my meetings today now 🤣, and no, I don’t work in the shed by the car 🤣

IMG_8960.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

IMG_8965.jpeg

IMG_8964.jpeg

• Like 5

Second leg completed with no problems but with very heavy traffic on both M25 and M3. Very pleasing that the car behaved perfectly, sitting at 85 degrees most of the time, occasionally nudging 90 but quickly back down again.

Trying to persuade my soon to be 89 year old Mum to come out for a spin this evening 🤣

IMG_8974.jpeg

• Like 5

Were they happy you rocking up in a Gulf logo'd car in a Esso station?, lol... 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

Second leg completed with no problems but with very heavy traffic on both M25 and M3. Very pleasing that the car behaved perfectly, sitting at 85 degrees most of the time, occasionally nudging 90 but quickly back down again.

Trying to persuade my soon to be 89 year old Mum to come out for a spin this evening 🤣

IMG_8974.jpeg

We need a pic of mum, what a brave lady.

ETA

That would be a great one for the calendar, with the words 

Westfield -  for all ages....

PS

If you want a lower temp whilst in traffic, I can send you my spare 74 degree one... ( stat)

4 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

We need a pic of mum, what a brave lady.

ETA

That would be a great one for the calendar, with the words 

Westfield -  for all ages....

PS

If you want a lower temp whilst in traffic, I can send you my spare 74 degree one... ( stat)

She woosed out, claiming tiredness! I’ll get her sooner or later 🤣

Thanks for the offer Richard, seems ok for now and I think I have a 74 degree stat around if I need one 👍

• Like 1

Well, third leg completed successfully! Lovely weather and roof off for the drive in. I had a bit of a lie in, up at 5.48 having gone back to sleep after the 5am alarm. Left at 6.30am and in by 8am. Quite sticky through the roadworks but much better once past the M26 turn off and all the variable speed limits.

Just the big one to do now, Dartford to Crewkerne on a Bank holiday Friday, what could possibly go wrong? 🤣🤣

Planning to leave by 3pm, but could still be a long trip home. Might be staring at Stonehenge for a while with all the grockles 🤪.

IMG_8979.jpeg

IMG_8980.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

My late 70's Mum managed it just after mine past IVA in 2016- Getting in wasn't too bad, getting out not so easy!

image.png.de4b28b6a8e820556bfaf246c323eeb6.png

• Like 4

Just had my wife's uncle George for a quick run, he's 82.

Repayment for driving his Catapiller. 

20240524_112808.jpg

Screenshot_20240424_174445_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

IMG_8974.jpeg

I bought my Westfield after my mum died, I justified it by saying she would have wanted me to have one and she would definitely have been up for a run. She was 88 when she died. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robin Parker (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

I bought my Westfield after my mum died, I justified it by saying she would have wanted me to have one and she would definitely have been up for a run. She was 88 when she died. 

I’m sure she would have approved 😊

Mum will come out at some point hopefully. They are due down to Somerset to visit us over the summer so I’ll get her in it then. She has said I will have to haul her out of it 🤣

11 minutes ago, Robin Parker (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

Just had my wife's uncle George for a quick run, he's 82.

Repayment for driving his Catapiller. 

20240524_112808.jpg

Screenshot_20240424_174445_Gallery.jpg

Excellent 👍👍😊

39 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

My late 70's Mum managed it just after mine past IVA in 2016- Getting in wasn't too bad, getting out not so easy!

image.png.de4b28b6a8e820556bfaf246c323eeb6.png

Nice one 😊

If I can find it - doubtful but I'll try ,  I have ( had)  a photo of my Gran who was 86 at the time and just after completing the rebuild on my Spitfire we went to South Wales from the Wirral to have a holiday in a static caravan, but it wasn't just Gran that was in the car either, I had just gained a dog , a Spitfire is not a big car inside ( or out) so we were sort of packed in a tincan - bit like sardines... Hope I can put my hands on the photo.

• Like 1