• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Track days for beginners

tomo

I'm building up the courage to book a track day but which one?  I live near Worcester.  Any advice on the best/nearest for a novice.  Also one with good tuition available.  I've seen they do them at Kemble, Glos.  Is that one any good ?  As a member of the MAC I was thinking of having a go at Curborough but someone was telling me its a bit tight a twisty for a beginner.  I want somewhere with lots of space and little to hit !

Also any fresh advice on car prep?  Someone suggested that uprated front pads are good idea.

Cheers

Simon

I'm in a similar position atm...based in Swindon.

There's a lot of airfield days around here (Hullavington, Kemble and a new one near Trowbridge I think).

Would be interested in people's advice before I jump in :)

Andy

I've seen they do them at Kemble, Glos.  

Somebody from the Sylva Club who books their track days told me that Kemble no longer run track days, due to opposition from local residents. :arse:  :angry:

David

I really wouldn't advise Curborough as your first track....there's very little runoff in a couple of places and you can't just go round and round to build up a rhythm as it's a sprint track built as a loop back to the paddock (although they do run 2 lap competitions where you use a hairpin to reuse most of the track again before finishing)

Definitely try an airfield first as they tend to have very little to hit (except for cones!;) and are relatively easy to learn - make sure the organisers know you're a 'beginner' and want to take it easy for a couple of sessions to get your confidence up, there's no shame in asking to be put in the 'slow' group until you're happy that you can be out with the quick boys - personally I'm happy to stay with some of the slower drivers as I've seen some nasty incidents when you get some so-called experts out there together and they start racing each other...and the slower groups tend to have fewer and less serious accidents (IMHO)

Kemble is(was) good but I know Easytrack don't run there anymore so I'm not sure who to go to for it.Bookatrack have quite a few airfield type days but sadly just like most other companies they are having trouble getting airfield days down south - and the current conflict probably isn't helping that either  :t-up:

While an airfield day is a safe option, I wouldn't be too afraid of doing your first trackday on a 'normal' circuit. I've only ever done circuits and would argue that so long as you're sensible and drive within your limits it really shouldn't be a problem.

Be aware that accepted disadvantages of airfields are that the surface is generally quite abrasive and will b***er up your tyres, there's often quite a bit of grit around which will b***er up your bodywork/screen and driving round a coned airstrip just isn't the same experience.

Living near Worcester your closest circuits would be Castle Combe near Chippenham, Llandow near Cardiff, followed by Anglesey in N Wales. Not desperately far for you to get to places like Donington either I suppose.

tomo,

My advice would be

1) make sure you go with a good track day operator-I have used BookaTrack a couple of times already this year and IMO they are very safety orientated and well organized.

2) make sure it is a sessioned event which will mean you are running with drivers of similar experience

3)wherever you go just take it easy and build up speed gradually- there are no prizes for being the fastest on a track day

4) I haven't tried any airfields but would recommend the following tracks for a beginner

Llandow

Anglesey

Donnington

There is plenty of run off at all of these although Donnington is a quicker circuit generally.

When people comment that there are only cones to hit on an airfield just be carefull. Cones can make quite a mess if you run over them.

Good luck

MikeW

make sure the organisers know you're a 'beginner' and want to take it easy for a couple of sessions to get your confidence up, there's no shame in asking to be put in the 'slow' group until you're happy that you can be out with the quick boys - personally I'm happy to stay with some of the slower drivers as I've seen some nasty incidents when you get some so-called experts out there together and they start racing each other...and the slower groups tend to have fewer and less serious accidents (IMHO)

This is excellent advice not only from a safety point of view but also from an enjoyment point of view - having been put in the wrong group once for my first track day at Brands Hatch ( I normally track at Goodwood ) I never did get a chance to 'learn' the circuit as I spent most of my time keeping out of the way of full 'race cars' and obeying the blue flag ( pull over there is a faster car behind you! ) - this was not an enjoyable track day  :arse:

Agree entirely with starter, bobm and peterg:

bookatrack are a better beginner's bet than the others I've used and are very welcoming and reassuring.

Don't go near an open pitlane event to start with, otherwise you'll feel too pressured by quicker drivers in quicker motors.

I don't really see that starting at one venue is different to another unless you're really going to hammer it and get beyond your/the car's limits. The fact that you're a bit nervous suggests you'll be entirely sensible out on track - the only time you get into trouble is if you get a bit lairy. Obviously the more run off, the safer but don't let that put you off going to a circuit first.

I'm not sure I'd recommend going to spectate at a  day before going to drive, the cars look a lot quicker going round from the stands than they are when you get out there. I remember turning up a bit late for a day at Brands and seeing them tearing round paddock hill and thinking I could never get that much speed up, once out there it was absolutely fine.

Believe me, at most days you'll be far from the slowest / worst driver out there.

Go on go on go on go on go on go on...

If money will allow you can hire an instructor for the day.

Also then if you go to Cadwell with your instructor who knows Cadwell and the type of car most other tracks will appear a lot easier.

I know Austin K. does instruction on a one to one he is a good racing driver he co drives with Richard Ince the all conquering pair in lasts years JCC. and a very nice man too. To contact him you will have to E-mail him through Blatchat.

Paul.

I had the same trepidation before my first airfield day, but done Kemble twice now, both times organised by Tony Sighe, the AO of the Chelt, Glos & N. Wilts WSCC.  For me the secret is a Westfield only day - I have done Castle Combe on an open day and didn't really relish 1.5 tonnes of BMW M5 2 metres from my head.  We have our next Westfield only airfield day at Hullavington on June 6th.  Not sure how many places are left but this will be a good one for anyone who wants a no pressure first day out.  Check here for details.

Have to agree with Stuart, Westfield only days are great especially if your new to all this.

A. You will be with similar cars, especially if you book in the novice group (thers nothing worse than getting buzzzed by some idiot in an Evo)

B. You will meet loads of people & be able to put a few face to names.

C. If something breaks there are a load of people who will give you a hand fixing it.

Why not book on the Mallory day, i did this last year& had a great time. Its not the most technical of tracks so i quite good for straters there may even be some instruction ???

My advice would be to get your car well prepaied B4 the event, check the breaks are OK, there are no lose nuts/bolts, give yourself plenty of time to get there on the day (nothing worse than beeing in a rush B4 you start) & take it easy go at your own pace & gradually build it up & most important of all have fun be safe. :t-up:

Andy ;)

(theres nothing worse than getting buzzzed by some idiot in an Evo)        OR A SEAT !!!!!!!

C. If something breaks there are a load of people who will give you a hand fixing it.

My advice would be to get your car well prepaied B4 the event, check the breaks are OK, there are no lose nuts/bolts, :

Andy ;)

:t-up: Have you had a look at your wishbone yet.

Yep - get yourself along to the WSCC Mallory Park Track day in july - Group A is a novices group  ;)  ;)

Mallory is a user friendly circuit  :D  ;)

Its 99.9% Westfields and plenty of experienced track drivers on hand to lend some advice and help you through  :D  ;)