Fitted aero-screen tonight

Mike-SEiW

Fitted the aero-screen tonight.

Not really a piece of cake, but not very hard either. Will probably have to remove it later on to fit the dash but at least the holes are there in almost the right place.

Question: what do I do to cover up that space on top, or do most people leave it as it is?

Question 2: the center support was just way to tall (it's about maybe 10mm too high), anyone else have the same trouble?

Here's a pic:

picture%20006.jpg

I have filled it with a Mini carbon dash, basically a piece of carbon that is contoured to fit exactly, it was inserted by a few L shaped brackets, siliconed to the tub, and then to the carbon so I can remove it if I ever choose, I wont take credit for this idea as I first saw it on Johns bade car and thought his idea was so nice i fitted one myself.

Sorry I don’t have piccys, im sure others will pop along soon with some piccys :) (give me a week and ill have a camera, pm me next week if no one offers anything else)

I fitted shift lights, and a low oil pressure LEd in it, its a much better place for shift lights than the normal dash, its just right :)

Flap

I have seen this one:

070204_33.JPG

070204_34.JPG

I suppose a cardboard template and then trace that onto whatever plastic/carbon the final thing will be made in would do?

What I'm after is, this isn't a Westfield item and nobody else makes one?

I have seen this one:

'Ere, that's my car that is!  :D

Yep, carboard template marked with points 50 to 60mm apart, measure up from the scuttle to the underside if the screen on the same cardinal points, transfere the data to the template... have a test and once it's near mark up the new dash (but bigger) and carefully sand down with a fixed disk sander... the work of but a moment :D  :D  :D

And here's one I did earlier (mb919):

bd1.jpg

bd2.jpg

bd3.jpg

bd4.jpg

bd5.jpg

bd6.jpg

John

I have seen this one:

'Ere, that's my car that is!  :D

Yep, carboard template marked with points 50 to 60mm apart, measure up from the scuttle to the underside if the screen on the same cardinal points, transfere the data to the template... have a test and once it's near mark up the new dash (but bigger) and carefully sand down with a fixed disk sander... the work of but a moment :D  :D  :D

:D  :D I knew you'd find the topic after awhile. :)

Ok, good method. Must save that in the harddisk in my head. Won't be doing it now as there's more important stuff, but in the future for a nice weekend project.

Hm...I do remember there being a small strip of carbon fibre mat left after doing the dash. Now I know what to do with it :)

If you leave it open, you'll have a place to put your sarnies!

:D:D:D:D:D

Is that a Westfield supplied screen on yours MB893?   It looks good!

If you're doing it all from scratch, why not increase the height of the dash to marry up with the aeroscreen?

If you're doing it all from scratch, why not increase the height of the dash to marry up with the aeroscreen?

One of the few Westfields I've seen in real life here in Sweden has a dash that goes up to the aeroscreen in one piece. It just doesn't look good. It looks strange and "tall" somehow. Doesn't look right.

It looks strange and "tall" somehow. Doesn't look right.

Kind of thought the same and this way means you can still fit a tonneau cover :D

Yep, the screen is a Factory carbon jobbie - and very nice it is too.

I just F***ED up and ruined the clear part of the aero-screen.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Since the fitment was sort of off, and there was in places a gap between the GRP part and the glass, I decided to fill it with silicone. Well...turned out the gap was larger than I expected so I added a little bit more than a thin layer. As it squeezed out of the gap, at the front of the clear part I ran my finger there to spread it out. The silicone I used has thinner has a solvent. I put a tiny drop onto the side just to see what would happen to the plastic if it would react with the thinner. looked good, so I proceed to remove the excess silicone with the solvent. Moments later I see everywhere solvent has been, there are millions of tiny cracks. So I start to remove it and it just went to a million pieces in my hands....turns out the solvent made it really brittle.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I am so tired of so-so fitment of everything at this stage. Not to mention the savings account is very nearly empty and spending on this kinda thing just makes me wanna scream.

:bangshead:  :angry:

Have calmed down now. Am now just mostly sad  :(  as it's another small setback...but no big deal really just frustrating.

Sorry to hear that Mike, think we've all experienced our own share of set backs on a Westfield build.  Maybe you should try and claim it was broken in transit?  ;)

Dam, sorry Mike

Ive done things like this myself, and feel like kak when it happens

Chin up, it will be worth it when its done :)

Thanks for your support guys. It means a lot!

Chin up, it will be worth it when its done :)

Yeah, that's what keeps me going...tough though it sometimes can be.  :p