Donington - Masters Historic Test Day 19th March 2024

Rob Hunter - Club Secretary

The weather is looking Westfield friendly so I'll be heading up to Donington to watch some of the Masters Historic Racing test day.

https://mastershistoricracing.com/race-series

Spectators are free and all areas are accessible apart from the pits, pitwall and garages.

If you're at a loose end and fancy joining me, I'll be planning to get there for 10am 👍

Hopefully I'll be parking up near Garage 39.

Quick update, it seems we won't be able to park in the paddock and will be parking in the car park at Redgate.

Should be a Marshall at the gate to point the way 👍

One word for today..... WOW!!!

Weather was good so the Westie came out to play and I landed at Donington about 945.

20240319_100141.jpg

@Garry Bunn - Derby & Notts Joint AO joined me later as did a few of the Burton Classic Car Club.

Wandering up the paddock, I was like a kid in a sweet shop! 20 Classic F1 cars plus loads of 60's and 70's sports cars, from lightweight E-Types to Ferrari, Lola, Porsche, GT40, Mustang etc etc.

Some highlights:

Special interest to me was this 1982 March 821 driven by Jochen Mass. The very car that Gilles Villeneuve clipped at Zolder in the wet trying to beat Didier Pironi's lap time. My childhood hero died that day colliding with this car, a very strange feeling to see it...

20240319_123148.jpg

20240319_122829.jpg

One of John Watsons Mclaren's

20240319_123623.jpg

David Purley (March 731 maybe?), immortalised for his selfless and brave attempt to save his friend Roger Williamsom at Zandvoort in 1973

20240319_122920.jpg

1961 Ferrari 246 SP, I believe this was Ferrari's first mid engined sportscar!

20240319_101534.jpg

20240319_122611.jpg

James Hunts Mclaren M26 from 1978

20240319_122146.jpg

• Like 7