New member, assistance in buying/viewing car

Graham Harvey

On 07/03/2024 at 00:10, Graham Harvey said:

Thank you to everyone again!  

I'm a little reticent to post the advert I have seen on here as I do like the look of it and interested but where I am currently in Australia until April, can't do much about it, so don't want to post the advert and then someone else in my position see it and nab it before me!  However, if it is meant to be, it will be and as everyone else has said, don't buy the first one you see....but also if you do, you won't regret it neither haha!  

The car I have seen is a SEiW, 2 ltr Zetec on Webbers with a Type 9 gearbox and LSD.  Has the full wet weather gear but I am unlikely ever to use it!  Especially as I spend most of the year out of the country anyway working at sea, it will be very much a toy and something to tinker with, with my (currently) 16 month old Son who is growing up too fast!  

No better place to teach a kid how to fix a car than on something that is exposed so quickly and so simple.  

Really appreciate all the advice though, keep it coming!  I live in Hedge End, so not far from Alton, Lymington, etc so when I get it, be fantastic to see you all!  Stupid question, but how do I see when the meets are?  

Thank you all!

For meets, have a look in the Local Area Meets section but not every area posts regularly there, the definitive list is printed in the club magazine with meet frequency, location and the AO contact details. As you work away they'll be a couple of mags waiting for you at your home address.

Definitely try to get to a local meet, as that way you’ll see a mix of cars and be able to narrow down what you do/don’t want.

I knew nothing about Westfield’s when I bought mine, and hadn’t even seen it. Just met a chap who said he’d had a SEiGHT for 15 or so years and hadn’t used it, he then showed me a photo and I bought it. It was then delivered to me in Dorset in its trailer, from its storage barn in Suffolk. So the first time I saw it was when we opened the trailer in my unit.

Not the conventional way to buy one, admittedly, but it worked for me!

Since then I’ve had various changes made so that it perfectly suits my physique and driving needs. So even if the car you get isn’t “perfect” for you, it can easily be adapted to your requirements. And buying new bits is all part of the fun.