Race suit loan or buy

Richard Houlgate

One of my sons is thinking of starting hill climbing in the family MX5.

He's reluctant to buy a new race suit in case he doesn't take to it, but he's a big guy and needs size XXL on the attached chart. Can anyone help please?

image.png.151a107134f781593d1c0484357ef1f2.png

Will the MX5 be competing in the unmodified “standard cars” class (S11)? If so it’s my understanding that overalls aren’t required and the only requirement is that arms and legs are covered.

IMG_9595.jpeg

yes completely standard. Many thanks for that, good news and sensible. I'll check it out with an MSUK Scrut I know.

So I asked my friendly scrut and he said that most clubs will not run a standard car class for whatever reason. Frustrating.

I will ask around the clubs, but I think my son is going to need a race suit.

1 hour ago, Richard Houlgate said:

So I asked my friendly scrut and he said that most clubs will not run a standard car class for whatever reason. Frustrating.

I will ask around the clubs, but I think my son is going to need a race suit.

It shouldn’t make a difference.

MSUK define the regulations and the structure of the sport, not the class structure of the individual events.

a car complying with the MSUK regulations can still run in a different class on the day providing that it complies with the relevant MSUK regulations as it is presented.

therefore so long as the car and driver comply with the regulations for a standard car as outlined in the MSUK blue book, it shouldn’t make any difference what class the event organiser places them in on the day.

Yes I agree, but the experienced scrut said I need to make sure with each club that people can run without a race suit. I'll let you know what I find out

2 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

It shouldn’t make a difference.

MSUK define the regulations and the structure of the sport, not the class structure of the individual events.

a car complying with the MSUK regulations can still run in a different class on the day providing that it complies with the relevant MSUK regulations as it is presented.

therefore so long as the car and driver comply with the regulations for a standard car as outlined in the MSUK blue book, it shouldn’t make any difference what class the event organiser places them in on the day.

It would be very wise to get confirmation from the club organising the event that this would be acceptable prior to booking. Because whilst your correct that Motorsport UK provide the Categories, as you rightly say the Club's define the Classes and which Category they are going to run under. So could actually refuse a car from running.

The standard car category has slow to take off, but is starting to see some growth nationwide. Hopefully more Clubs will run those categories..

The idea is that son Tom gets used to competing in the MX5, once done he can try my Westfield but I think 235 hp and 550kg is too powerful for a beginner. Although he is 38 and an experienced road driver.

I'm sure he'd be fine in the Westfield.  When Alex (21 at the time) drove mine for the first time at Blyton, he'd only been driving for 3 months and had only passed his test 6 months earlier. He got on alright, as the results show,  and my car's similar to yours, a bit lighter perhaps.

I suppose we didn't have the option of an MX5 though, so it was in at the deep end.