Tyres

Numptie

Sprint / hillclimb newbie - in the event of stupid questions, please be kind.

The tyres currently on my car are Yokohama ADVAN-032R.

I'd assumed these were blue book list 1A compliant ... but I've just had a look and ... doh !

So, given that I'll have to fork out, what do you chaps recommend ? (wet / dry)

TIA.

Cheers,

N :)

For WSCC Speed Series :- If you are road going class then most of us just have one set of tyres . Toyo proxes, Yoko 539 and others are in use  for 15" wheels. Do a search on topic.

You may struggle to find some decent 13 inchers though......

We could do with knowing what engine/power output before making a more informed judgement.

On 15's though, Terry has it right. Toyo Proxes or Yokohama A539's. You'll only need one set, wet or dry.....

IMHO 195-50-15's will be fine for most cars, unless you have well in excess of about 180bhp.

They are, but nothing wider than 185mm. If Numptie has more than about 180bhp, a pair of 205 rears may be worth considering, and that's where the fun begins, as far as decent list 1A tyres go.....

They are, but nothing wider than 185mm. If Numptie has more than about 180bhp, a pair of 205 rears may be worth considering, and that's where the fun begins, as far as decent list 1A tyres go.....

LOL :D  :D

Blats  R u cumin up norf for Ollies Mount and a faggun' of brew?

Buzz ;)

Thanks folks.

I did do a search and found a huge thread with lots of interesting information I didn't need ;) and quite a bit of bickering  :(

My car is a MegaBlade and it's currently on 13's (205/60).

For my own reasons I intend to keep it on 13's.

The problem, as I see it, is that the 1A choice in 13's is pitiful  :down:

I'm going to be talking to some suppliers in the next few days. If I find an interesting solution, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Blats  R u cumin up norf for Ollies Mount and a faggun' of brew?

No. But I'll be thinking of you........... a bit.......

Numptie.

185's will be fine on a Megablade, IMHO.

The 1A tyre of choice in that size (as far as I know) is the Bridgestone RE720, buffed down to about 4mm..........

Yokohama A539s buffed to 4mm whatever the size. I use 13" and they are just fine. RE720's seem to suit other people but i haven't tried them myself. Both are available in 13" or 15".

Ring George Polleys on 01354 688111. 4 off A539 buffed to 4mm = £205 inc delivered to your door.

Regards,

John

Sprint / hillclimb newbie - in the event of stupid questions, please be kind.

Pardon the ignorance ... what's the buffing all about ?

Sounds naughty ;)

Cheers,

It's when the tyre supplier takes your shiny new tyres, sticks them on the back of their car and goes and pulls a few donuts in the carpark. * :D This removes the release agent and top bit of tread on the tyre leaving the nice sticky bit for you to have fun with.

Also has the by-product of bringing you back quicker cos you've only got 4mm of tread to play with.. ???

* Other more technical approaches may apply, but end result is the same! ;):D

When a tyre is new it has about 8mm tread depth. The grooves in that make the tread split the rubber contact area into blocks. These blocks flex when cornering hard which is not good. Buffing is the removal of some of the tread depth to 4mm to help avoid block flexing and to also remove the top layer of rubber that may have manufacturers mould release agent contamination. This is usually silica based and therefore slippy.

Warning - after buffing, the tyres need "running in" to dress the new surface to be true to the road again.

John

Hi Numptie,

If you are running a megablade, then I presume you have an aeroscreen fitted.  If so you will be competing in class E and as such will be able to run list 1B tyres anyway

Tommo

Thanks timd :D and John :) - perfect ! icon14.gif

Tommo,

I'm not doing the speed series, I'm doing the Highland Speed Championship. I've checked with a scruteneer from my home club and he reckons; "If its got an MOT, it can run in road sports classes". That's a copy / paste from the last email on the subject so I'm working on the basis I'll be in class A4 (see the regs).

Good shout though - and I might check it one more time ... to be sure, to be sure :)

Cheers,

I don't have a Blue Book to hand  and I can't remember what section L12 says, but I reckon you'll be in B4 or B5 if you are running aeroscreen and 1B tyres........