Tracker for Campervan

Terry Everall

I need to source a tracker for new camper van. what do people recommend and how much. Does it need to have Thathcham approval for `insurance ?

Not trying to be facetious here Tel but have you asked the insurance company? They may have a list of approved theft deterrents etc.

I too had to fit a tracker to get insurance for our overland camper truck.

I've got a Global Telemetrics tracker supplied and fitted by Smartrack. We get global tracking for a one-off £399 for as long as we own the vehicle. There is an app too for your phone, that shows on a Google map where your vehicle is sat at any time, the voltage of the battery, notifications everytime the engine is started, and it's route live when it's on the move. All that was very handy when the truck was in for repairs for many weeks - the GPS location and other info was accurate enough to know when it was actually in the workshop being worked on or road tests and not in their yard collecting dust!

https://globaltelemetrics.com/

https://smartrack.uk.net/information/

does the tracker cover European travel?

Camper value is £85000 and wonder if it needs a Thatcham standard - level 5 ,6 or 7 ??

Yes, in fact global. However, if someone nicked it in Botswana, I don't like your chances of recovery, 

Ours was similarly valued, and we could not get insurance without it. The two links will give all the specs.

On 11/12/2023 at 10:10, BigSkyBrad said:

I too had to fit a tracker to get insurance for our overland camper truck.

I've got a Global Telemetrics tracker supplied and fitted by Smartrack. We get global tracking for a one-off £399 for as long as we own the vehicle. There is an app too for your phone, that shows on a Google map where your vehicle is sat at any time, the voltage of the battery, notifications everytime the engine is started, and it's route live when it's on the move. All that was very handy when the truck was in for repairs for many weeks - the GPS location and other info was accurate enough to know when it was actually in the workshop being worked on or road tests and not in their yard collecting dust!

https://globaltelemetrics.com/

https://smartrack.uk.net/information/

That's good value if keeping it for more than year.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of these for my motorhome, seems to work well, I've also stashed a couple of Apple Air Tags, not so much for the tracking, but it's nice to know how often people pass by !

TruTrak FMT100+ GPS Tracker Vehicle Tracking Device -36 Month Bundle, Van, Motorbike, Caravan, Motorhome, Coach & Car Tracker - Pay as You Go, 12-24 Volt, Self Install Device Including SIM & Data: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo 

On 26/12/2023 at 19:17, Nemesis said:

I got one of these for my motorhome, seems to work well, I've also stashed a couple of Apple Air Tags, not so much for the tracking, but it's nice to know how often people pass by !

TruTrak FMT100+ GPS Tracker Vehicle Tracking Device -36 Month Bundle, Van, Motorbike, Caravan, Motorhome, Coach & Car Tracker - Pay as You Go, 12-24 Volt, Self Install Device Including SIM & Data: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo 

Doesn't the AirTags only last 3 or 4 motnths when the battery runs out?

I've got the most recent gen of the air tags and I can change the batteries when they die, mine have been going strong for the past 8 months.

I know the early ones were throw away when the battery died and the battery life wasn't that good, so time will tell !

Just recently changed the battery in my airtag - lasted more than a year. So no problem really. 

On 11/12/2023 at 13:28, Terry Everall said:

Camper value is £85000 and wonder if it needs a Thatcham standard - level 5 ,6 or 7 ??

Wow ! I had no idea what these things cost but that's about 20x more than I paid for the house ! Was a few years back mind . 

16 hours ago, SootySport said:

Didn't know  there was a new version, I'll have to buy some.

Keep your eye on the Apple Store, they sometimes have a multi buy offer on the Tags, and they will Laser engrave them with an ID too!

• Like 1

On 26/12/2023 at 19:17, Nemesis said:

Until now I'd never heard of an Apple Airtag! It's a Bluetooth device right? So you can only pick up the signal if near enough to it? So from what you've said other people coming within It's range will pick up the signal on their phones and that gets logged with the cloud and then you can see where the tag is located, is that correct? Fantastic what can be done these days isn't it! 

• Like 1