Good morning from Italy

Lele B

1 hour ago, evosteve said:

Have you considered a Vauxhall XE more likely to find with a type 9 gearbox and a bit older?

Yes, but it seems to me, I don't want to be mistaken, that there is a lot of difference in weight and tuning possibilities.
Although finding one with excellent upgrades already fitted wouldn't be bad either.
The super-expert guys who are advising me and helping me with my research recommend the duratec for the aluminium crankcase, I honestly don't know the Opel engines very well. 
But the factory builds between 98 and 2005, I thought they had been fitted by Ford for many years, apart from the Bec.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Ford engines between 98 and 05 you'll mainly find Zetec Silvertop in the earlier cars and Zetec Blacktop in the later ones

So in those years the Opels and Duratecs fitted were made as modifications, not factory builds?

Vauxhall/Opel C20XE's are an unusual example within Westfield models. It was an insanely popular engine for very good reasons - hugely strong and reliable, masses of tuning parts available at good cost, lots of competition history etc. However, it was never an "official" Westfield model as such. But it was supported to the extent that the factory could supply 80/90% of the parts necessary to install a C20XE.

The Duratec has many great properties, comparatively light weight for a 2 litre being one of them, a really good head design another. It does have some weak spots too, though - it got known as a "Dura-bang" for many years due to a fondness for destroying bearings.

I like the Duratec in a Westfield, with the right mods and tuning it makes a really nice package. But, compared to Zetec engined cars, it just didn't sell as well, unfortunately. That's why they don't come up for sale that often now.

4 hours ago, Lele B said:

So in those years the Opels and Duratecs fitted were made as modifications, not factory builds?

Westfield made the Sport 2000 with a duratec, I think starting around 2004. As Dave says the Opel/Vauxhall engine has never been a factory option 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Vauxhall/Opel C20XE's are an unusual example within Westfield models. It was an insanely popular engine for very good reasons - hugely strong and reliable, masses of tuning parts available at good cost, lots of competition history etc. However, it was never an "official" Westfield model as such. But it was supported to the extent that the factory could supply 80/90% of the parts necessary to install a C20XE.

The Duratec has many great properties, comparatively light weight for a 2 litre being one of them, a really good head design another. It does have some weak spots too, though - it got known as a "Dura-bang" for many years due to a fondness for destroying bearings.

I like the Duratec in a Westfield, with the right mods and tuning it makes a really nice package. But, compared to Zetec engined cars, it just didn't sell as well, unfortunately. That's why they don't come up for sale that often now.

Thank you for your accuracy and valuable information

Also in the early days when the Duratec was quite young the complete car with the Duratec was relatively expensive... I know because I wanted one but couldn't afford one...

As always it depends on what you are looking for from the car...and what you are going to do with it...all options mentioned are good and each has it's own positives and negatives...

I was on track a few months ago and there was a guy there who was fast.. obviously a good driver but had a well tuned Vauxhall engine.. and he definitely was quick...

• Thanks 1

C20XE is a good choice with lots of tuning potential. Look up Millington engines, they started with the C20XE and 285bhp normally aspirated., now use Duratec so both a good choice.

QED, SBD, Omex supply parts and tuning parts for the XE. I would assume Germany has lots of  parts as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBdv7QL7YY 

• Like 2