Fitting my garage out, need some ideas

tex

I'm putting a suspended ceiling in a voided garage roof.. Its a way up there my heat is sitting. 

Am using adjustable wire hangers for the timber framework going up and aiming for "4x2" or metric equivalent gaps between to make it easier. 

My question is I want removable drop in panels with insulation.. Is there a cost effective way of my thoughts of 3mm ply with 50mm+ polystyrene glued to the back. 

Or is there a way cheaply I've not thought of? Between the panels I'm installing led strip lighting. 

Why use heavy timber and plywood ? you could put up a lightweight suspended ceiling with insulation above.

https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/mp563-glass-fibre-polythene-enclosed-thermal-pad?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6vaqBhCbARIsACF9M6n9K9x1U3OI0mU3bm6YsXqkRkxcNvrQ_oUXQcT27VvCw7o6Vm8xDhQaAqY7EALw_wcB 

Loads of ceiling grid and tiles and lights on Facebook marketplace with some up near you. Some for free too.

• Thanks 1

What about Celotex or similar. It’s light, rigid, easy to cut and has a reflective surface. No need for ply at all.

Just a thought, it’s worked well in my 5 x 10m garage/workshop. I’m no expert, but believe you might want to consider venting the roof void above to ensure an airflow to reduce condensation, whatever you use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if you're not too worried on looks, you can often get cut or damaged celotex panels quite cheaply. Either ebay or check with local builders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

Why use heavy timber and plywood ? you could put up a lightweight suspended ceiling with insulation above.

https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/mp563-glass-fibre-polythene-enclosed-thermal-pad?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6vaqBhCbARIsACF9M6n9K9x1U3OI0mU3bm6YsXqkRkxcNvrQ_oUXQcT27VvCw7o6Vm8xDhQaAqY7EALw_wcB 

Loads of ceiling grid and tiles and lights on Facebook marketplace with some up near you. Some for free too.

Have looked around their site.. Not a bad idea.. Celotex boards 8x4x100mm, so I'd use one product rather than 2 (ply + insulation) 

I still need to hold it up with a frame.. Still digging.. They don't seem to sell frame work

14 minutes ago, Jim RS said:

Please do not use polystyrene in a ceiling application it is a terrible fire risk.

Yea, I'm learning quickly.. Didn't know much about it tbh.. 😁 

5 minutes ago, tex said:

Have looked around their site.. Not a bad idea.. Celotex boards 8x4x100mm, so I'd use one product rather than 2 (ply + insulation) 

I still need to hold it up with a frame.. Still digging.. They don't seem to sell frame work

You can buy ceiling kits.

This is just one company.

These are fire rated tiles too.

https://www.ceilingtilesuk.co.uk/performance/fire-rated-ceiling-tiles/

Got any photos? Trussed or cut roof? Bang for your buck you can't go wrong with mineral wool and standard plasterboard with a decent size insulated hatch. Do you want to use the void for storage? I work for a national house builder and we don't spend money where we don't need to! 

Just read your original message so scrap my reply, you can still use mineral wool though and it's non combustible too. Be careful with the current roof ventilation as Alan said 👍

20 hours ago, DarrenK said:

Got any photos? Trussed or cut roof? Bang for your buck you can't go wrong with mineral wool and standard plasterboard with a decent size insulated hatch. Do you want to use the void for storage? I work for a national house builder and we don't spend money where we don't need to! 

Best picture I can find atm.. I'd thought about running a framework of 2x2 around the timber top of the wall, which ties nicely with the centre truss. The building is an old cowshed from 1800 and from a rough calculation is around the area of 6 - ate 🐝 forrrs. 👍 

Plasterboard is cheaper but I'd still have to finish each facing and need insulation on top. 

I've done a few online quotes for 4x2 tiles and the framework. Plus roll on insulation, see how much they charge, I've got all the suspension wiring etc already

Screenshot_20231123-144050.thumb.png.ffa545a47427ac7c0c5e6cfe7c15216d.png

5 hours ago, tex said:

Best picture I can find atm.. I'd thought about running a framework of 2x2 around the timber top of the wall, which ties nicely with the centre truss. The building is an old cowshed from 1800 and from a rough calculation is around the area of 6 - ate 🐝 forrrs. 👍 

Plasterboard is cheaper but I'd still have to finish each facing and need insulation on top. 

I've done a few online quotes for 4x2 tiles and the framework. Plus roll on insulation, see how much they charge, I've got all the suspension wiring etc already

Screenshot_20231123-144050.thumb.png.ffa545a47427ac7c0c5e6cfe7c15216d.png

That would work, we run mineral wool roll insulation on lay in grid suspended tiles - albeit for acoustics and not thermal, but it would still work. Is it a crinkley tin roof? How much heat will you be generating as condensation might be an issue. PM me if you like

19 hours ago, DarrenK said:

That would work, we run mineral wool roll insulation on lay in grid suspended tiles - albeit for acoustics and not thermal, but it would still work. Is it a crinkley tin roof? How much heat will you be generating as condensation might be an issue. PM me if you like

Naaa, it's a tiled roof.. I've just got the last of the kit for the suspension wires. Could of just used galvanised wire on a roll, twisted together but decided to get adjustable turnbuckles. I'll have to get up with the spiders webs.. 🤔🙄 To anchor off the cables.. I reckon I could do the job myself and save some money. Once it's up I need to build a box around the roll up garage door to reduce drafts. 

Condensation shouldn't be an issue.. Its pretty drafty up there. Just had the roofer finish up too! 

I'm installing led strip lights in straight lines along the rails too. 

If it's really draughty in the roof space it may pay you to install a 'breathable membrane' which will still allow condensation to escape from the space. It is fairly expensive stuff but will stop excessive windy conditions within space allowing insulation to do it's job more efficiently.