repacking silencers

RICHARD+PHILIP

That is the Question?

I have a repackable silencer which needs er repacking cos it makes too much noise 110 db at the last count

Is it worth repacking it or should I buy a new one?

And how difficult is it to do? :bangshead:

Repack it !!!. Its easy. They usually have removable ends on the can by virtue of a series of little allen screws. Remove the screws and pull the end off. Then get some suitable material (Techcraft in Warwick sell it by the bag full as do Merlin motorsport - I have used Wickes wall insulation batts before now cut into strips) and stuff it in. Then replace the end cap and voila!.

If the end caps dont come off, cut a hole in the underside with an angle grinder and pop rivet an ally plate back over it after you've dne your business.

Be careful not to pack it too tightly.

John

Have you had chance to have yours noise tested yet Chris?

Andy

Have you had chance to have yours noise tested yet Chris?

Andy

Not yet.  I'll go to one of the MSE events nearby or see if Chris Varey from our club can bring his sound meter to the next area meeting.  I'll let you know the results when it's done.