Science and History Corner

Richard (OldStager)

Passed in June 81. By 1984 I was a despatch rider. That lasted until 2004ish. I'm probably approaching 1 million miles in the saddle 'cos I still ride. I commute a bit less since Covid but for 10 years between 2011 and 2021 minus Covid my weekly commute was 400 miles. These days I'm at around 5000 miles a year on two wheels...

• Like 1

Oh cool, I got banned from riding bikes by my gran, who I had just moved in with, her father was killed on a bilke, so bikes were a no go. She did me a favour as I woulod not be here now had I kept the bikes. Not been on a bike since 1990.

• Like 1

A rather down to earth lecture on Climate Change - and no its not all about getting rid of your fossil fuelled cars etc...

Well not for quite some time at least...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blatman said:

Took my bike test before that was a thing :o

Yeah I wish I had done that too. These days it's much harder to get a license which is probably just as well. 

18 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

you old git, lol..... passed in somewhere around 1982 ish, full bike licence by the following year , great days they were.

Last time I rode a big bike was 1981 south of France, pair of shorts and flip flops nowt else. Lovely and safe 😳

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Blatman said:

Passed in June 81. By 1984 I was a despatch rider. That lasted until 2004ish. I'm probably approaching 1 million miles in the saddle 'cos I still ride. I commute a bit less since Covid but for 10 years between 2011 and 2021 minus Covid my weekly commute was 400 miles. These days I'm at around 5000 miles a year on two wheels...

Have to say impressive. I don't do that many miles in all 3 cars combined!

18 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Oh cool, I got banned from riding bikes by my gran, who I had just moved in with, her father was killed on a bilke, so bikes were a no go. She did me a favour as I woulod not be here now had I kept the bikes. Not been on a bike since 1990.

Yep, my parents point blank refused to let me have a moped at 16 (Puch Maxi or FS1E back then), bought me an old Ford Corsair 1700 V4 with column gear change soon as I passed my test just after I was 17 though. Blew that up on the M5 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Yep, my parents point blank refused to let me have a moped at 16 (Puch Maxi or FS1E back then), bought me an old Ford Corsair 1700 V4 with column gear change soon as I passed my test just after I was 17 though. Blew that up on the M5 😂

Well my first moped, was indeed that very same Puch Maxi, had the one with the leg covering thing, fairing I suppose it was, covered the whole of the front of it and saved your legs getting wet when it rained. Although being a moped, you did have to pedal it to get it going, however that was handy when you ran out of fuel - since you could then pedal it to the fuel station, lol. Very fond memories of that thing, took me everywhere, slowly, but every where...

Another one from Gresham College, and for some that read this thread maybe interested in watching?.... I refer to the last two or so minutes of this during the Q&A...

Yeah for me that's the difference between principle and practical. The NHS asking for EVERYONES consent EVERY TIME just isn't practical, even though the principle is sound.

And once consent is given for that specific event, is it then incumbent on the organisation who receives the data to then ask those who gave permission for further permission when they want to look at a different application of the data? Where does that stop? It also assumes the organisation receiving the data actually abide by the "rules", or do they go ahead without permission because they think they won't get caught...

I think, having had a discussion with my GP today on a planned appointment, that when asked about the company in question, he said there are many 3rd party places the public never get to hear about that are currently in partnership with the NHS, not all of them would ever get presented to the public, but he let slip that the one mentioned elsewhere were indeed one of them and he wasn't sure why I was presented with an email or phone message, so it looks like to me someone at my surgery has make a error during my application to the thing we spoke about last night. Which also explains why they changed the subject as soon as I mentioned said company. I am fully aware that sometimes data has to be shared to simply function, but when it ends up in hands , I ( as the data provider) was not aware of or agreed that I gave consent , it becomes an issue ( to me) . Not entirely sure what the solution is to this at the moment.

Not sure, as I know already I am "troublesome" client to them , having already berated them for many different issues over the years , I was once told to go and find another practice . I'm not troublesome, just annoyed at shoddy service,  and folks get offended when they hear the truth. 

I said not sure, because right now I don't wish to upset the applecart anymore than it might otherwise cause, in other words, I need them more than they need me..., which is a situation I really didn't need. 

Latest from the World Science Festival, I watched this last night but failed to post it, so hope you enjoy.

From energy, to matter. 

By the way, anyone can post here, please add your own there will be lots I never get to see .