Science and History Corner

Richard (OldStager)

22 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

A rather well timed video for me, a good lecture about Mental Health. 

I also will be watching that one Richard 

• Like 1

It was very good, I thought I knew all about it until this lady mentioned a few things. The CBT sort of worked for a few years, but things went South a bit following both family and my own pet losses, so the GP has suggested a new tactic, which I won't talk about at he moment unless it proves useful to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Free will anyone...

Stuff like this is absolutely fascinating. It's getting time these days to watch and absorb when there is so much vying for your attention every single minute or every single day. I'm already falling apart from sitting down too much, my left knee ligaments just went pop this week from lack of use! I could easily sit and watch stuff 15 hours a day I reckon but I don't want to die just yet 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

It was very good, I thought I knew all about it until this lady mentioned a few things. The CBT sort of worked for a few years, but things went South a bit following both family and my own pet losses, so the GP has suggested a new tactic, which I won't talk about at he moment unless it proves useful to me.

I know what YOU mean by CBT but having a warped mind I always chuckle to myself about another meaning of that initialism! 😂

• Haha 1

Likewise, I have cut my viewing of stuff like this to maybe 3 hours a day, although I have been on here pretty much since 6am this morning, but it's far easier on me doing this than watching a YT vid that needs far more concentration to follow along. Also did a bit of house work, although my back issues hamper that somewhat - pain killers help, but as always they come with side effects !!!, laxatives anyone :laugh:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

I know what YOU mean by CBT but having a warped mind I always chuckle to myself about another meaning of that initialism! 😂

It was a hard slog for me that CBT, not physically obviously, but mentally, I was completely drained afterwards, to the point I would sit in the car afterwards and just sit there maybe 15 mins or so. It did do something, just wasn't as long lasting as I'd hoped.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Likewise, I have cut my viewing of stuff like this to maybe 3 hours a day, although I have been on here pretty much since 6am this morning, but it's far easier on me doing this than watching a YT vid that needs far more concentration to follow along. Also did a bit of house work, although my back issues hamper that somewhat - pain killers help, but as always they come with side effects !!!, laxatives anyone :laugh:

Yeah I've discovered this week that I don't tolerate opioid painkillers well at all 🤢🤮🤢🤮

• Haha 1

Me  neither, lol, the local shop are doing rather  well in toilet roll sales though, so not all bad, lol.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

If you're not allergic, Nurofen Plus 'cos it has codiene, which will bung you up. Might strike the right intestinal balance.

That said, I had a bout of tonsilitis a few years ago (my first time) and the antibiotics really done me over after about 3 days. I don't usually react that badly... however called the nurse and explained and she said have a pot of activia a day. No way thinks me, but stuff me it really worked.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Yeah I've discovered this week that I don't tolerate opioid painkillers well at all 🤢🤮🤢🤮

Computer Basic Training?

Compulsory Basic Training (motorbike test)?

Or may stop looking at THOSE web sites... :o

• Haha 2

Yes its the codeine that has caused it, I am now limiting the pain killers down to 2 a day, that appears to be the happy state, for lack of pain and , well normal erm, movements shall we say. LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Computer Basic Training?

Compulsory Basic Training (motorbike test)?

Or may stop looking at THOSE web sites... :o

Compulsory Basic Training (motorbike test)?   That takes me back a bit, lol , did that and passed, yay. 

• Like 1

Get the yoghurt and up the meds. I struggled with a bad back for about 7 years back in the 90's. It ended with a partial discectomy on L4/5. Problem solved. I still get backache after a long day but 2 Nurofen + and a good nights sleep and I'm right as rain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Compulsory Basic Training (motorbike test)?   That takes me back a bit, lol , did that and passed, yay. 

Took my bike test before that was a thing :o

• Like 1

you old git, lol..... passed in somewhere around 1982 ish, full bike licence by the following year , great days they were.

• Like 1