AXA recovery service

Sean Walsh

So, the thing is - don’t - just don’t use them.

I can honestly say that they are  the most shockingly inept, inefficient shower that you could ever conceive of.

first call - yes no prob, someone with you in 60 -90 mins. You’ll get a confirmation test in five mins. 

Five hours and seven calls later, still no text and still waiting! Totally shambolic service.

I’m surprised as bought via A-Plan who have always been fantastic.

Has anyone any recommendations on recovery services?

Thx

W

I stick with the AA. its the member and not the car etc. 

I have Greenflag cover through my bank and they’ve always been very good. I’m covered in whatever car I’m in which is handy.

Sorry to hear of your incident, hope you get sorted soon! Not good ☹️

My daily is a Range Rover so need the best recovery company as in constant need. Tried the rest but the AA has been found to be the best. 
With the Westy, they have made sure recovery trucks are suitable bearing in mind the low ground clearance and always looked after the poorly vehicle. 
Pay the money and get the best. 

• Like 1

we use Start Rescue, when we've had cause to use them there have been no issues.

My mate always recommends Auto Aid. He reckons he is their least profitable customer due to the number of call outs he has had over the years for his Dax Rush cossie turbo. 

However, after hitting his sump on a rock the other week it was over TEN hours before he got recovered. 

So even the “best” can sometimes provide poor service as they all mostly rely on a local network of independents these days. 

I've used both Auto Aid and Axa (through A Plan). I think I used Auto Aid a couple of times. My experience was good in both cases.

If I didn't have Axa as part of my insurance package, my go to, is Auto Aid, (despite having in the past been an AA member for over 25 years, I got fed up of them constantly trying it on for price every year.)

I have to say, personally, I've found Auto Aid's service superb for the Westfields - but a large part of that is down to the local recovery service they use, who are based in the town I live in, and whose boss is a real petrol head, who tends to do the more exotic pickups himself. As he understands the intricacies of loading something like a Westfield. He also understands that odds on the driver knows more about the car than anyone else, so if you say you need a flatbed with shallow access, a. that's what he brings, and b. he won't muck around trying to do road side fixes, if you say its not do-able, it's not do-able!

So I guess once you move away from the AA etc with their own fleet, it's really down to what your local recovery companies are like.

I do think it is the luck of the draw and what cover you have. One of the problems they face these days is lack of qualified staff, increasing technicality, driving hours and call centre staff who do not understand cars at all. Telling them it needs a flat bed as there is a hole in the block, still requires them to send a patrol out first.

In the past there was little restriction on recovery vehicles, now they have an exemption for Tachographs but the exemption is only within 62 miles of their base. So when I worked on recovery vehicles I regularly did Cornwall to Yorkshire runs to recover things.

Unless it has changed AA did a relay where they switched you onto another truck until you got to home, RAC the truck you were collected with took you home.

I have Greenflag and they have been fine, but on my Nissan Pickup, it was RAC and it burst a hose it took 7 hours to get to me, it was a bank holiday though.