Yet another windscreen...

Paul Baker

I've just ordered my 4th windscreen in 3 years!

Ok, so I admit I broke the first one myself during the build by over-tightening the grub screws that hold the screen in place, but the rest have just been on random drives. 

Here's this morning's effort, just from a stone getting flicked up from the car in front:

20230925_120519.thumb.jpg.5bba1d5167cf7fdc098948aa55cb0138.jpg

I've been thinking about switching to an aeroscreen since having the cage fitted, I'm still undecided but the photo below gives me food for thought! 

20230925_122109.thumb.jpg.ccf9e9ab095ee3af8385ae88fe9c11b0.jpg

So have I been unlucky or have others had issues with screens seeming to easily break?

• Sad 2

I think that you have been unlucky. Our Westfield is 20 years old and has done almost 70,000 miles, we replaced the windscreen last year because it was pitted.

• Like 1

That looks like quite a large stone to do that. Windscreens don't seem to be a big issue to be honest but with the lack of maintenance on the roads and waste tipper trucks who these days seem to make no effort to clean their wheels, I suspect it will be a growing issue.

Just a thought for you, if you go aero screen will you always wear a crash helmet as that stone would do some damage to your face

• Like 1

Good to know that there’s not much of an issue with screens, I did think that it’s probably just bad luck, which makes me feel better, kind of.

And I definitely agree on the road maintenance issue, it seems to be getting worse and it’s much more noticeable when driving the Westfield. There’s some local roads that I don’t use now as the state of the carriageway is just so bad.