Insurance...policy renewal!!

Iplodius

Insurance Companies are also very quick to write off cars nowadays - in some cases without inspecting them properly, and often cars are written off not because they are too expensive to get repaired, but after storage fees and hire car costs are factored in too.....

Everything has an effect....all of us with no claims protected discount must have knock on effect too....

Cheaper Insurance is great......until you have to make a claim sometimes...

Mart.

I'm with AIB. Last year £156 this year quoted £171. About 9½% rise. To be expected, my other cars insurances have all gone up too. Was gonna try A-Plan but from what I am reading here I'm better staying with AIB. 

Just to put in perspective the increases just had my renewal for the Volvo XC60. After years of company cars last year retired and had to buy one, insurance was £256.99 with LV.

This year it was £424 for the same cover now with one years NCD.

Using the usual sites best I have found for same cover is £355 with Aviva but still a big increase. Speaking with a broker he also confirmed there was an increase due to claims going up and being higher values. He thought there was around an average of 20% increase at least and likely to increase again next year.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2023 at 09:10, jeff oakley said:

Insurance costs are going up and it is to cover for increased write offs. As cars have become more complicated there has been an increase in write offs now up to almost 400000 and a billion pounds each year. This has to be covered from the overall money raised.

The other thing that will no doubt have an effect in years to come for Westfield drivers is the cost of a new one has risen significantly, as have the cost of spares to repair damaged ones. This will eventually trickle through I suspect with increases as those dreaded algorithms start to kick in.

Ringing around and playing one off against another is always worthwile if you have the time, but make sure that you are comparing like for like.

On my motorbike for example, several were cheaper than I pay, however their cover was less, so if the bike was garaged it was X, but that meant you could never leave it on the drive unattended, say whilst it cooled down as if it was stolen it was not covered.

It is also worth mentioning that if you go for agreed cover you look at the value closely

Cheers Jeff for the reply, AIB Insurance gave me the best quote this time round without spending loads of time on the phone. Least I have cover without the questions about immobilisers !!