Surrey Area

Martin Hewes AO Surrey

Hi,

Having just re-joined the WSCC after a few years away, I was wondering if there are other people in the Surrey area who would be interested in a regular meet up?
A few years ago we had quite an active group, we had a monthly evening meet as well as Sunday morning runs.
I think when the old AO moved away, it all went a bit quiet and a lot of people joined events with the SKCC club. They are a dedicated and active bunch but often start and finish some distance from Surrey.

So if you live in the Surrey area and would like to use your car more, but maybe not before dawn on Sunday mornings then please pop you hand up and we can try and arrange something that suits all.

cheers

Martin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi - Define Surrey, it's quite a large area, I'm in Hampshire, but not far from the Western border of Surrey so depending where you are, my "blat zone" may well overlap with yours.

If you're partial to a substantial breakfast, I can highly recommend the Plucky Pheasant at Newlands Corner.

• Like 1

Hi Martin - I'm in Weybridge and definitely interested. I can also recommend the Plucky Pheasant at Newlands.

Steve

• Like 1

This makes excellent reading, thank you to Martin and to those that have responded so enthusiastically. Martin is going to trial becoming the Area Organiser for Surrey so the more people that support him the better it will be, you can have an extra area that will be more local to you, great news.

• Like 3

Hi Martin - you may have already seen these, but there were a couple of similar posts last year - I see some of the names are now "SORN", but some of the others may still be interested.

Cheers

Steve

I’m in Dorking, very interested in meeting up 👍

Thanks to all that have replied and apologies for the slow response. I need to sort my notifications out!

the fact people are mentioning newlands is great as that’s close to me in guildford and I know the area well. 

I’ll reply again later with a straw poll for dates and ideas. Sadly this morning I have to get up a ladder and paint some woodwork before it rains and the roofers arrive in the morning. 

Cheers

Martin

• Like 2

Hi All,

So I think we nearly have enough for a small convoy! So its great because I think we are all within 30~45  mins radius.
Alton - normally visit to go on the RAT! but its also a good run down the hogsback and A31
Horley - Used to have to go there a lot with work so I know some of the back lanes around Holmwood and Newdigate
Weybridge - I know this area well too as I went to college there at Brooklands and I'm a longstanding member at the museum.
Dorking - Mickelham Bends, Rykas cafe - need we say more! 

So I know its pretty difficult to plan anything with the weather as it is right now, but we should probably just figure out what works for people. I think an  evening meet is a good place to start so we can put names to faces and cars. Personally a Wednesday or Thursday evening works best for me but please chip in. Then we can exchange run ideas and breakfast hot spots. I know 75% of mine seem to involve a lap of Sussex

Also do people like getting up really early on a Sunday to find clear roads or are you happy to have an extra hour in bed and encounter a few more cars? 

As I get older I'm in less of a hurry! 

I'm not sure if any of you are also members of SKCC? They tend to drive around East Sussex and Kent but occasionally come further West. I'll probably post something on their forum about volunteering to coordinate Surrey because they are a lot of like minded people. They are an 'open to anything fun' group and there is a wide variety of cars.

So looking at the long term weather forecast Thursday 10th looks nice 😉 ridiculous british summer! I've asked a lot of questions so i'll collate the responses, see who is around and we can pick a central location. Also next Sunday morning looks OK at the moment so thats a possibility too 

cheers 

Martin

Hi Martin - thanks for organising this. Wednesday or Thursday evenings are generally OK for me and the 10th would work for me.   Depends what you mean by "really early" on a Sunday!  

Cheers

Steve

Hi Martin,

Sounds great, thanks for making this happen!

Most evenings in the week work well for me as well as does the occasional early Sunday.  Although sadly I can’t make the 10th August.

Cheers

ian 

I am in sussex Horsham but it would be great to have an area group again.

For weekend drives this place is nice. 

www.torquemotocafe.co.uk

Just checking in and spotted a few new comments!!  email notifications from postings don’t appear to be that reliable to my phone so I’ll need to see where they are hiding. Having looked after email systems for years, I should know better 🤣

I’ll check back tomorrow after I have had a chance to read them properly. 

Martin

As someone on the border between Thames Valley and Sussex (Hook) I'd be up for a drive out too. Evenings wouldn't be a long-term preference for me with my weak-as-candlelight headlights but in the brighter / summer months like 10th Aug it would probably be okay.

I don't mind an early start at the weekends too, I'm usually awake with the birds and prefer empty roads!

Hi thanks for replying. 1992 xflow! Always nice to have a bit of old skool company and hopefully won’t leave me lagging behind too far 😉

i’m hoping to fit around everyone’s circumstances and if two cars turn up, that’s a bonus! I’m sure we can accommodate some season variance, locations to suit etc. we are starting from scratch and the idea is just to get cars out garages. I fall into the category of having a few spare hours some evenings and weekends but keen to make the most of them. taking the car out always gives me a buzz but life just gets in the way sometimes.  

So if the weather stays ok on the 10th I think we have a few who can make it. If I review who has said they can make it, then I’ll try to suggest a central point to meet. Hook isn’t too far away, especially as we Euan in Alton I think. We might even have a little convoy from point A to point B!! 

cheers 

Martin 

• Like 1