Fitting carbon half doors and wind deflectors

Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

• Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset changed the title to Fitting carbon half doors and wind deflectors
1 hour ago, Matt_S said:

@fatblokestu Neat job! Bet it makes a big difference! 

Thanks Matt. Yet to be road tested, need to add the closing straps so I don’t have doors flying open round the corners 🤪🤣

On 16/07/2023 at 19:31, fatblokestu said:

Thanks Matt. Yet to be road tested, need to add the closing straps so I don’t have doors flying open round the corners 🤪🤣

You can always pretend it's for active aero braking like on Travis Pastrana's Subaru 😂

Gymkhana-2022-episode-12-Pastrana-Florida-8_o-1.jpg.43dad281046700f353e0d371f19e584b.jpg

• Haha 2

On 18/07/2023 at 10:39, Rob Hunter Derby & Notts AO said:

You can always pretend it's for active aero braking like on Travis Pastrana's Subaru 😂

Gymkhana-2022-episode-12-Pastrana-Florida-8_o-1.jpg.43dad281046700f353e0d371f19e584b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/reel/627063292725470?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V

😱😱

• Like 1

On 16/07/2023 at 18:13, Matt_S said:

@fatblokestu Neat job! Bet it makes a big difference! 

Went for a quick drive today now that I’ve sorted the closing straps out and yes, it does make a big difference 👍. I had the roof on too and it felt quite calm even at motorway speeds. Elbow room is a bit more restricted, even with the pockets (if that’s the right word) in the doors. Quite manageable though, so I’m pretty pleased with how it has turned out.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ajpearson said:

Where did the doors come from? 

Carbon nv, these are the ones.

IMG_0571.jpeg

• Like 1

On 16/07/2023 at 19:31, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO- Devon & Somerset said:

Would you be able to supply a link to the hinges used please? Looks good! 
Cheers, Ian

On 11/08/2023 at 12:41, ianali said:

Would you be able to supply a link to the hinges used please? Looks good! 
Cheers, Ian

These are the ones I used. They work well for what I wanted. Paired with M6 rivnuts they are quite secure. There is some slack where they connect to the doors which could be eliminated by packing out between the clamp and the door but I’ve left mine as is; once they are buttoned in place they are very secure. The Woolies trim really helps too and makes a complete seal so no air comes in. At motorway speed with the doors and Caterham side screens the buffeting is much reduced; my baseball cap did not need to be reversed, teenager style, in order to stay on!

https://marinestore.co.uk/blue-wave-rigging-metric-stainless-spare-threaded-toggle-right-hand.html

IMG_0744.jpeg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO- Devon & Somerset said:

my baseball cap did not need to be reversed, teenager style, in order to stay on!

😄never thought of doing that...I take it off or hang on to it! 🤣👍

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, marka said:

😄never thought of doing that...I take it off or hang on to it! 🤣👍

I normally turn it back the right way going through towns and villages to avoid looking like a complete kn*b 🤣, but it does reduce lift! I did lose one cresting a bridge over a motorway once, it flew quite a long way! Must remember though when I take the doors off….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1