North East Ring

tex

Screenshot_20230709-143707.thumb.png.8148e914848207d4782ed6bc0c730443.png

If anyone is visiting the North dales, North Yorkshire moors area, THIS is a must do route designed for driving. 

I've been doing this one since.. Well.. It was the last century! With longgggg fast flowing roads, amazing countryside which takes you from fields to open moorland. Some tight n twisty bits, and some big hill climbs. 

Plenty of fuel stops 

Plenty of food stops

Plenty of touring stops if you want to explore more. You'll love it 

Scotland is great but far.. You can get a feel of it here without the 8hr just to get there. 

This is also a chance to drive the famous Helmsley to Great Broughton Chop Gate road... Very challenging. 

Tackle Sutton Bank, Clay Bank. Newgate bank to name a few 

Target time is around 3-4hrs plus stops. 

Enjoy! 

Anymore info message me 

• Like 3

Hi!

Not my neck of the woods, or my likely next visit - however, it's a brilliant thing to share some local roads for like-minded others to enjoy. 

Is there already a forum section for this? If not, should there be one?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2023 at 08:59, tex said:

If anyone is visiting the North dales, North Yorkshire moors area, THIS is a must do route designed for driving. 

I've been doing this one since.. Well.. It was the last century! With longgggg fast flowing roads, amazing countryside which takes you from fields to open moorland. Some tight n twisty bits, and some big hill climbs. 

Plenty of fuel stops 

Plenty of food stops

Scotland is great but far.. You can get a feel of it here without the 8hr just to get there. 

This is also a chance to drive the famous Helmsley to Great Broughton Chop Gate road... Very challenging. 

Enjoy! 

Anymore info message me 

Sounds fab. Wish I was closer. I may have to design my own version. 

On 10/07/2023 at 08:59, tex said:

Plenty of fuel stops 

Plenty of food stops

Enjoy! 

Anymore info message me 

Can you post the Google maps link then people would just be able to click it and go!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, just seen this reply (shame) 

I'm going to create something for it. I was round it last night.. Takes by the sat nav estimate 3.5hrs. Did it in 3hrs. 

It really is the best proper driving roads I've been on anywhere in 40yrs driving. From open flowing A roads, country roads that go on for ever, pennine switch backs, airborne if your brave enough.. Naaaa. There's plenty of fuel stops, food stops and rest points if that's what you want. 

Watch this space I'll drop a link to it. 

• Like 2

Sorry, just seen this reply (shame) 

I'm going to create something for it. I was round it last night.. Takes by the sat nav estimate 3.5hrs. Did it in 3hrs. 

It really is the best proper driving roads I've been on anywhere in 40yrs driving. From open flowing A roads, country roads that go on for ever, pennine switch backs, airborne if your brave enough.. Naaaa. There's plenty of fuel stops, food stops and rest points if that's what you want. 

Watch this space I'll drop a link to it. 

On 30/07/2023 at 14:42, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Can you post the Google maps link then people would just be able to click it and go!

Northeastring

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply... 

Yea, I just checked that, seems Facebook deleted it but it is still there. Trying to find a way to show it properly 

22 minutes ago, tex said:

Sorry for the late reply... 

Yea, I just checked that, seems Facebook deleted it but it is still there. Trying to find a way to show it properly 

If you plot the route in google maps (you'll need to be signed in to it), it will then allow you to share it.

Here's a quck example- Test map for TEX I didn't have time to draw the full route, sorry.

26 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

plot the route in google maps

This can work. But often Google maps on a laptop will be subtly different on a mobile and once you use it for navigation will try and be “helpful” and send you a “better” way. Plus there’s a limit to the number of stops. 

We use it a lot on our local runs, so it does work. But be careful when adding in markers based on named places, as it will likely tell you to turn off down a side street to the market square you don’t want to go to 🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kingster said:

This can work. But often Google maps on a laptop will be subtly different on a mobile and once you use it for navigation will try and be “helpful” and send you a “better” way. Plus there’s a limit to the number of stops. 

We use it a lot on our local runs, so it does work. But be careful when adding in markers based on named places, as it will likely tell you to turn off down a side street to the market square you don’t want to go to 🤣

Totally, agree. The googlemap was purely for sharing a route and not planned to drive it from. I use it to plan Euroblats and then translate them onto my TomTom and set waypoints. We then manually move through the waypoints to avoid exactly the problem you describe.

e.g. Here's the start, middle and finish of the Stelvio pass-

image.png.07c51f60261a8cb39dde7d7c65b2fede.png

• Like 2