Building a new Westfield

Dan Ingram

Hello Everyone.

I'm a previous Westfield owner. I had a bike-engined car that was a lot of fun but too much for road use. I'm looking at getting another one that is a bit more sedate. The options are to buy one, refresh it and make it how I'd like it, or build a new one.

I'm interested in the Mazda SDV build but have my concerns about buying a new kit now that Westfield is under new ownership. Has anyone ordered a new kit since Westfield changed hands?

If you've built a Mazda SDV car any suggestions on the best MX5 model to go for? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Plenty of Mazda SDV builds out there, and you'll get a variety of opinions on the donor vehicles as there's pros and cons to each of them. I went for an early 1.6 NA donor for a few reasons.

1.6 is lighter and generally thought to be a bit more revvy, but rather than torquey, which is a characteristic I wanted.

Early donor (1991) doesn't require a cat for emissions, which simplified exhaust selections etc. 

1.6 before the release of the 1.8 were 115bhp, but the engines were detuned to 90bhp after the 1.8 came out.

Drawbacks are that the earlier engines didn't have VVT which came in around 2003 (I think), and you'll definitely be capable of bigger power from a 1.8 if you're going the forced induction route.

If you go for an early 1.6, there were some issues with the early cranks wearing keyways if not maintained properly. Documented fairly well here:

https://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Regardless of which one, the Mazda SDV is a great option. Simple and reliable engine which suits a Westfield well in my opinion, although I may be biased!

• Like 1

@Glynn Walters any advice mate?

I am about 3/4 of the way through my SDV build (albeit left hand drive). 

I bought a very early NA 1990, and in hindsight I would have spent a bit more money upfront and got a later 1.8 NA due to the extra power available as stock and the stronger 7" Differential.  I spent money on an engine refurb and a new differential.  :cry:

The good news is that the NAs are quite desirable and so I managed to sell most of my unused donor parts and chassis and claw back over half of my purchase price.

Here is the latest list of build diaries that Dave Eastwood keeps up to date. It includes lots of SDV builds including mine.  There is a ton of info there. 

My build was an early 1.6 and by choice I’d build the same spec again if I could. Don’t be out of by the short nose crank issues. Yes there was sone that suffered problems when gorillas tightened the crank bolt and over torqued it but equally plenty that didn’t, I’ve owned three such issues and none displayed any problems. The advantage of the 1.6 is that you can change the timing belt without removing the crank pulley so in theory the bolt should never have been touched. Steer away from the cars with an auto gearbox though as the engines were lower compression.

I think if I couldn’t get another early 1.6 then I’d use a 1.8 vvti donor now.

When sourcing a donor mx5 also look for one with the least options and gadgets, you’ll be thankful when it comes to striping the wiring loom.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2023 at 15:40, Dan Ingram said:

buying a new kit now that Westfield is under new ownership. Has anyone ordered a new kit since Westfield changed hands?

I e not spoken to anyone in that position yet; however I can say, having heard from people using the parts shop, and myself included, the service so far has been superb. It took a while for them to open for orders at the parts dept. because the front of house, (web site) and back of house, (web shop, order processing, stock management, invoicing etc) are all totally new and much, much improved from the old days.

In stock items are coming through quickly, and slickly. There are staggered orders from the none UK based suppliers that have very long lead times, which means, we the customers, see much shorter lead times for none regular stock items.

I would say speak to Simeon, perhaps pay them a visit, if possible, and see how you feel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

I've spoken to Simeon and Jason at Westfield. They are both very helpful.

I think I'm going down a different route now. I'm just waiting for Jason to get back to me with some prices.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

When sourcing a donor mx5 also look for one with the least options and gadgets, you’ll be thankful when it comes to striping the wiring loom.

This! 

Also, forgot to mention, I used the diff from a Mk2 6 speed to lengthen the gear ratios a bit. I've used a 3.6 diff, but they also made a 3.9. In hindsight, that would probably be a better match for an NA engine. 

2 hours ago, Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO said:

they also made a 3.9. In hindsight, that would probably be a better match for an NA engine

That's the one that I bought when I replaced the stock 6 inch ring gear.