Servicing after track day.

Nige_T

Chaps, to what extent do you service your Westy after a good track day thrashing?

Thanks.

No service as such, but I generally check the brakes/pads, fluids, tyres (for wear/damage) and give the suspension a good “once over”.  Probably put air back in the tyres if it’s getting road use instead of track abuse too. 

• Like 1

I would tend to agree with Chris. In addition I generally change the engine oil once a year based on 4-5 trackdays PA, anymore than that and I'd change the oil twice per year. I also check/top-up the transmission and diff oils every 3months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingster said:

give the suspension a good “once over”.

Just in case of any doubt, this includes both checking visually that everything is in place with no damage/wear, bent wishbones/rose joints etc. But also critically what you'll often hear called a spanner check. Physically checking with a spanner and wrench, that all nuts and bolts are still appropriately tight.

Even perfectly standard Westfields just don't have all the bushes and NVH fixtures and fittings of a modern car, plus, relative to their weight, tyres and suspension are often stiffer, so even on the road, let alone the track, all the parts and fastenings tend to be subject to much more vibration than a modern car. Throw in heat either from pounding round a track all day heating tyres, brakes and engine/transmission up, which then heats up everything around it, or even just hot summer weather. And nuts and bolts can and will work loose occasionally.

Hence the spanner checks!

(This is also something worth doing periodically even just on road going Westfields. Depending how much it's used, once or twice a year, check nothings about to fall off!!)

• Like 4

A good spanner and fluid check as others have said before and after.

Servicing is done annually on mine and I do a couple of Donington track evenings and a couple of Curborough sprint format days with 3000+ road miles. I do gearbox and diff oil every other year too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KevanP said:

In addition I generally change the engine oil once a year

I must admit I do that regardless, so forgot to mention it 😁

• Like 1

Also blow out / brush clean radiator and oil cooler if fitted to get the flies and rubbish out, definitely check hub nuts are tight or have not rotated, check fuel hoses for cracks plus get your car on axle stands and have a good look from underneath.. also look for any signs of cracks to chasis or at weld joints...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mole said:

also look for any signs of cracks to chasis or at weld joints...

Like that ever happens 🤔🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

What do iI do after a trackday?    hmmmmm -   usually fix the damn thing  after Ive broke something.    Cylinder head currently in the menders.

• Sad 1