Normandy / N France

Sean Walsh

Hi,

Thinking about a French road trip in the spring. Maybe four nights to Normandy area.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels etc that might be suitable - secure / safe parking wtc?

Also, be interested in routes / places to visit etc?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

S

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

Take a look here- 

Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll give you access to this google map we used in 2017 and 2018 for trips to Le Mans-

image.png.b16600782d8bab3370ac49e0d240d226.png

The race was the main draw for the trip and the bimbles round France and the museums was to avoid the mass rush back to the ports after the race.

Can't see we found any amazing roads, and toll roads aren't fun in RHD cars with no passenger to operate the toll tickets, so I suggest to avoid tolls. The roads are generally lightly trafficed compared to the UK.

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in history then Normandy is full of things to see. Jeanette and I did a tour in a Westfield and followed all the D Day landing sites. Pegasus Bridge and the paratrooper Museum there, so much to see.

You have got the Bayeux Tapestry as well. St Mont Micheal is worth a trip as well. Buy a copy of the Michelin Green Guide for that area and you will get a great feel.

Hotels, there are many to fit all pockets from equivalent of Premier Inn upwards and plenty available, just check when you are going as many have festivals that fill rooms up. We just put the hood up and secure the car and never had a problem at all.

Ferries we use the one to Le Harve  and then have breakfast in Hornfleaur we return either from Caen or St Marloe which is a beautiful place.

They are getting much hotter on speeding especially on routes to ports, unlike the UK if you get caught it is on the spot fines and for top speeds they will take your licence and your partner will have to drive, they can impound cars as well.

Beware that many petrol stations only take cards at the pump and many do not accept UK ones, never have. Have cash and you will always find a willing local to use their card to fill up in exchange for cash.