Respray or wrap

Rob Waldron

Hi all just having a thought as one does  ☺️ like a lot of others  I expect in the past, what to do about those annoying spider lines on the glaze coat. The fenders i guess putting some thick under seal or similar would  give protection for future knocks from stones etc.

Making repairs to the existing lines do you get the panels re sprayed  i presume its the lacquer coat ? or has any one had there car wrapped. 

Many thanks 

Rob 

Hi not sure if this helps, but my son is a professional autobody repair and painter and his partner wraps cars for a living. The general advice they would give is wrapping is certainly cheaper than painting. However, wrap will pickup stone chips, marks etc easier than paint to some extent. You can touch paint up, but not wrap, without re-wrapping that panel.

Assuming your car hasnt been painted already, the colour you see is a gelcoat, but can be easily paint matched by a good quality paint shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could wrap it and use paint protection film in the vulnerable areas.

• Like 1

Presumably you’d still need to do some kind of repair to the cracks to stop them showing through the wrap?

Highly recommend ‘Wunderseal’ from CBS to protect the underside/inside of the arch to prevent further damage. A good thick stippled coat works wonders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats a good idea Chris. Some wraps are pretty good nowadays and would hide spider lines and cracks pretty well.

• Like 1

From what I've seen on the car wrapping show featuring Yianni, the surface must be perfect before wrapping or any imperfection will show. 

• Like 1

Depends on the finish vinyl. Chromes vinyla do show through. But there are 3m products that would cover some imperfections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My cars wrapped,and the professional fitter that did it said wrap won't hide any cracks etc and will always show through, if not straight away it will in a short time.

• Thanks 1