IVA of a new scooter.

ianali

A neighbour/friend has just been gifted a scooter. It’s taken me a while to stop laughing and now I have a question. The ‘thing’ is sold as a kit though really it’s just a bolt a few bit’s together jobbie. When built it needs to go to vehicle inspection so it can be registered for road and given a regd plate. He said this will require a van or trailer to get there. I am now wondering why people who build their cars here are able to drive to a testing centre? Would somebody be kind enough to explain it to me please? Cheers, Ian.

As long as you are insured then you can drive to and from an IVA test centre - just the same as you do for an mot. The appointment must be booked and you must drive to and from the test, nowhere else. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kingster said:

As long as you are insured then you can drive to and from an IVA test centre - just the same as you do for a mot. The appointment must be booked and you must drive to and from the test, nowhere else. 

Thanks for reply. So no need/way of getting a registration plate beforehand? It’s a long story but basically a friend of his brought it for his wife and she said take it away. This was 3years ago and all the paperwork is lost. It’s a mad thing, pink and looks like a copy of Barbies scoot.

14 minutes ago, ianali said:

So no need/way of getting a registration plate beforehand?

Not sure as it’s not a kit car 😁

…but that’s the way I did it

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kingster said:

Not sure as it’s not a kit car 😁

…but that’s the way I did it

I can see this being an impossible task. As we said earlier, were we young we would take it over the fields and kill it like we used to do to such contraptions. 

Yes you can drive it to its Iva / sva but then I had to trailer the Westie to get it’s registration certificate , they even had us take it off the trailer look at the chassis number and that was it !!! Put it back on and then wait 4 weeks for a registration. The guy that trailered it for me had the same with an imported bike, take it off the trailer look at the frame number and that was it, he asked why couldn’t he have just looked at it on the trailer and got told we have to see it on the floor 🙄 Good luck 

• Like 1

All as said above.  

For those who want to read the legislation it is Section 6(2) of The Motor Vehicle (Test) Regulations 1981 that exempts vehicles from needing to comply with Section 44(6)  of The Road Traffic Act 1972 (Amended 1988).

or in English you can legally drive an unregistered and untested vehicle to and from statutory test. Note however as highlighted above an IVA test or MoT carried out by VOSA/DVSA are statutory tests whereas a registration examination by the DVLA is not.

You are also still responsible for ensuring that the vehicle complies with the requirements of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and The Road Traffic Act 1988.

ie it is safe to use on the road and is insured etc.

• Thanks 1