Bringing Winston home

Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

I’m starting this thread to try to keep focus on achieving getting my car from its current location in Wokingham, Berkshire at my parents, down to my home in Crewkerne before the end of September.

I moved from Surrey (Walton-on-Thames) a year ago, and have a perfectly adequate garage to keep it in down there, it just happens to be filled with the bits of a large shed which came down with us but we probably won’t need and various other junk which can be reorganised to make room.

I’ve just ordered a Carcoon Evo indoor storage bubble to keep it protected from damp, and that says it will be back in stock in 13 days, so between getting back from hols and the end of September I need to get the garage cleared, and co-ordinate a one way trip up to Berkshire to collect the car.

I’m then hoping to get along to one or two of the Dorset or Somerset group meets before the weather turns too bad.

So, please keep me honest; about any encouragement, cajoling, even bullying into getting my bottom in gear appreciated.

Gratuitous pictures of the car just because.

4E7CF84E-DC39-4D50-9ADA-92E738B3B0C1.jpeg

B0B27660-80BE-439A-96DD-129F38743B87.jpeg

0264115F-B0A8-4CD5-910E-731B9AC246A3.jpeg

• Like 7

In stock date for the carcoon is now 30th September, but I can still get the car down for a few days before so hopefully on track still. Back tonight from hols so will crack on with garage clearance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good progress this weekend. I basically managed to clear the garage to a stage where the car will fit. More tidying to do, but the horrid bit, which was moving the large old shed which was taking up half the garage is done. Thanks to Mrs Stu for her stalwart help getting that done!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the train ticket is booked for tomorrow evening. Bit of a trek, ~3.5 hours or so on the train from Crewkerne to Wokingham as Mrs Stu was unavailable to chauffeur me up there.

Older daughter is off to Uni on Sunday, so she is picking me up from the station to say goodbye at my parents’ house (where the car is!). Then it is Dad’s birthday (88!) on Sunday so lunch with him and Mum, then hit the road at about 3pm to be home in Crewkerne by 6 ish hopefully. Before it’s dark worst case!

Forecast looks fairly decent so fingers crossed there is no heavy rain. If you see a light blue Westfield parked up in a downpour, with a large black umbrella over it somewhere along the A303, I’ll be under there somewhere 😂.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Hope all goes ok , and the weather is ok for you 👍

Thanks Richard. Here safely, that felt like a long old trip! Two changes (Basingstoke and Reading) and diesel trains all the way with a few long stops here and there for unknown reasons! Arrived in Wokingham bang on time though, so can’t complain.

Fingers crossed for kind weather tomorrow 🤞

• Like 3

And so it begins!

FFC0090A-B87A-431B-9AE7-A01CA88342A9.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, I’m not sure my right nostril will ever be the same again, but I made it! Must get the wind deflectors fitted as it’s quite blowy at 70 ish! 🥶😜.

A fairly uneventful trip in the end, no rain, some heavy traffic in the usual places eg Stonehenge and also a bit further along. Had some good fun when it was clear and on the twisty bit down to Crewkerne. I even got a wave from a chap in a nice blue Caterham! 👍

There’s an entry into the sticker competition somewhere here too. Need a bit of a rest then will tuck him away in the garage. Hopefully the carpod will arrive soon too so I can get him properly stored.

1DC3D421-4210-4A05-A058-07BDB0DE6B1C.jpeg

0FF3CAC8-D383-4E5D-807A-08A5CF1D92B1.jpeg

988E4AAC-035D-4D66-BA2D-346D01BFE1E3.jpeg

F7C27FDD-9670-435B-ADEC-D3C03CB04C29.jpeg

9EAF73BB-1CD4-4F12-911B-C8CB199BAD18.jpeg

• Like 4

Snug.

Mission accomplished 👍

B9998A37-7230-404B-B24C-F7D20F8969C4.jpeg

• Like 5

Sorry, one more thing....

I asked Mum to take a picture of me when I set off..... this was the result! 😜

DD94EE4A-C4A8-4439-90FD-448CCE76A79A.jpeg

• Haha 4

As I said , glad you got the car back but that photo is what I had a while back from a mate, at least your mum got the car in shot, whilst my mate just had his whole hand over the lense, super photo of a half a hand - if you are into that sort of thing 🤣

• Haha 1