Does anyone recognise this 1992 SE?

GarethHD

Just bought this SE and I wondered if anyone recognises it? Previously owned at some point in the past ten years by Mark Robson who I believe was a WSCC member for a couple of years, based in the Wirral area (the car has the club's 30th anniversary sticker on the rear tub). Previous invoice history is limited and I believe the work to the 1.6 X flow was done at some point during the period 2005 to 2010. It's running 45 Webers and a live rear axle, gearbox is described as a 'Rocket' box which many will know is the Ford type E 4 speed, but I'm fairly sure its a Type 9 as it has 5 forward gears! The seats are a very recent new replacement and the wheels are 'temporary' 15" Peugeot alloys put on just for the sale, so not what the car would have been originally shod with. Any info on the car's history would be really helpful, please pm. Many thanks. Gareth

IMG_2898.jpeg

• Like 1

That looks like a nice car to tinker with over the winter Gareth, a crossflow in there as well, perfect, l do like old school Westies as you know.

Can’t help with your question, though, sorry.

A set of 1980s Ford rs capri laser r13s would look nice on that, and should fit the arches perfectly

On 27/08/2022 at 10:50, GarethHD said:

Just bought this SE and I wondered if anyone recognises it? Previously owned at some point in the past ten years by Mark Robson who I believe was a WSCC member for a couple of years, based in the Wirral area (the car has the club's 30th anniversary sticker on the rear tub). Previous invoice history is limited and I believe the work to the 1.6 X flow was done at some point during the period 2005 to 2010. It's running 45 Webers and a live rear axle, gearbox is described as a 'Rocket' box which many will know is the Ford type E 4 speed, but I'm fairly sure its a Type 9 as it has 5 forward gears! The seats are a very recent new replacement and the wheels are 'temporary' 15" Peugeot alloys put on just for the sale, so not what the car would have been originally shod with. Any info on the car's history would be really helpful, please pm. Many thanks. Gareth

IMG_2898.jpeg

As I am still on the Wirral, I did Whatsapp the local group but no one responded. I have just been in contact with Mark directly and I will PM you his number so you can find out what you want to know 👍, he has given me permission to pass on his number by the way.

Thanks guys.

yes Chris they would..... got to sort the sump first it’s barely 3” off the ground!

have you fit any 13s? I’ve got a set of 14 minilites so might go with that for now....

Richard thank you, just seen pm too. Off to see a friends Mexico in the morning to measure up the modified sump.... git your excellent photos....I don’t suppose you took measurements  I think I’ve found a local engineering company who can do the work.

cheers to both of you

3 minutes ago, GarethHD said:

Thanks guys.

yes Chris they would..... got to sort the sump first it’s barely 3” off the ground!

have you fit any 13s? I’ve got a set of 14 minilites so might go with that for now....

Richard thank you, just seen pm too. Off to see a friends Mexico in the morning to measure up the modified sump.... git your excellent photos....I don’t suppose you took measurements  I think I’ve found a local engineering company who can do the work.

cheers to both of you

I didn't but if you tell me what measurements you want I will see what I can do, sadly I have no car lifting stuff here to get underneath it properly, but should be ok with it on its wheels.

Ah thanks Richard.... don’t worry for the moment , apparently the Mexico is fitted with a modified sump which looks very similar to yours. I’ll know more tomorrow and let you know, but very kind of you to offer. Cheers Gareth 

I don't recall what pics I sent you , but just been through my attachments and found these which should help for reference.

Sump as modified

1428726610_DIGITALCAMERA_32.jpg.4b3123b31d6d056a6381938125c116fb.thumb.jpg.dc9403bf29322157f309109cdc6cf18c.jpg

Fitted, note the lowest part of it is level with the bottom of the belhousing. Also note I had the wing on the near side extend under the starter motor, be aware though that should you wish to change from the old school intertia starter to one of these high torque ones - my wing is in the way.

1390721890_DIGITALCAMERA_36.jpg.f3d45f571ed6ab096fa238760c03103d.thumb.jpg.cd32e6432d2ae24e04dd407b963fe717.jpg

Another view

127497624_DIGITALCAMERA_35.jpg.70bef9a29efdae1ef6f5d8d19ed769b5.thumb.jpg.6a992d377ebeba22860f0757b6d7a5da.jpg

Sump plug now metric now fitted with a "Gold Plug" magnetic one.

13 hours ago, GarethHD said:

Thanks guys.

cheers to both of you

Gareth, most of my Westfields have been on R13. This is my current car with the Ford rs wheels, it has 205 60 tyres.
A previous car with the same wheels had 185 60 tyres which obviously made the car sit a bit lower and wouldn’t fill the width of factory cycle wings very well, hence it had Caterham type cycle wings as they were narrower.

B1C36938-E078-440A-8183-6C1C45E37B6F.jpeg

Hi Chris 

yes I like the old Ford wheels.....and minilites but I agree R13 would be good. I’m assuming yours is a wide body? 205s look good on it. The narrow is going to struggle with 205s - rear arch returns have been cut away to allow 205 to fit, but it doesn’t look right IMO and I’m going to ask Rob to repair.......I like the 195 rear 185 front set up.......so definitely on the hunt for some R13s.....maybe Fleabay?? Cheers 

Thanks Richard yes you sent me about 10 photos but these are very helpful!

On 04/09/2022 at 08:42, GarethHD said:

Hi Chris 

yes I like the old Ford wheels.....and minilites but I agree R13 would be good. I’m assuming yours is a wide body? 205s look good on it. The narrow is going to struggle with 205s - rear arch returns have been cut away to allow 205 to fit, but it doesn’t look right IMO and I’m going to ask Rob to repair.......I like the 195 rear 185 front set up.......so definitely on the hunt for some R13s.....maybe Fleabay?? Cheers 

Gareth the last time I looked at R13 tyres, 195 were very difficult to get but 205 and 185 were fine. 
If someone has been cutting away at the arches, it might be the wheel offset was wrong on that set, more than wrong tyre width? I’m sure when you get tinkering you’ll know.
I had Ford rs wheels on my 1991 narrow.

All the rs wheels I’ve used were et19 6J, but I think there are et19 5.5J around as well.

As they are old wheels now it’s worth making sure the spokes are the same, as they do vary and unfortunately getting a date matched set unlikely.

Good idea with Fibreglass Rob, he’ll soon get those arches fixed, I’m going up to see him soon.

I’ve sent you a pm

17 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

I don't recall what pics I sent you , but just been through my attachments and found these which should help for reference.

Sump as modified

1428726610_DIGITALCAMERA_32.jpg.4b3123b31d6d056a6381938125c116fb.thumb.jpg.dc9403bf29322157f309109cdc6cf18c.jpg

Fitted, note the lowest part of it is level with the bottom of the belhousing. Also note I had the wing on the near side extend under the starter motor, be aware though that should you wish to change from the old school intertia starter to one of these high torque ones - my wing is in the way.

1390721890_DIGITALCAMERA_36.jpg.f3d45f571ed6ab096fa238760c03103d.thumb.jpg.cd32e6432d2ae24e04dd407b963fe717.jpg

Another view

127497624_DIGITALCAMERA_35.jpg.70bef9a29efdae1ef6f5d8d19ed769b5.thumb.jpg.6a992d377ebeba22860f0757b6d7a5da.jpg

Sump plug now metric now fitted with a "Gold Plug" magnetic one.

That sump looks very similar to mine, I can get sizes, photos if you need more info. 

I always thought mine was a cut up and see how it fits job, but looks like there's a pattern to follow. 

Hi Robin, thanks, and Richard,

well seems the Mexico sump is no good - it simply adds more volume to the existing 'bowl' so no improvement in ground clearance!

so guys if it's not too much trouble can you give me the measurements please? I guess the critical one is from sump gasket 'lip' to bottom of the flat box section and the 'volume' of the rectangular box 'wings' so length x width x height. Did you need to change to the flat style of oil pick up (Burtons do one)? Is the engine oil capacity still the same with the modification?

Richard I can see what you mean about the near side extending under the starter motor - Robin does yours do the same? I assume that will mean taking the sump off if you needed to change the starter?!

thanks very much chaps