Car ‘bubble’ recommendations and size

Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

I’m likely going to buy a storage bubble for my SEi to ensure it stays dry in the garage over winter. I’ve been pointed in the direction of this one.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/carcoon-evo-indoor-car-storage-system-525094/?sku=CAREI2RED&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptimmtqt&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCO2MBZZ8wzXhFeJGB5zstsSh5lVigBkLRu5hHnzy_SCFHBKqh3UDyRoC24AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Does anyone have any experience of them, or have any other suggestions? Any thoughts on which size would be best for an SEi?

Thanks,

Stu

As a business sideline, a friend of mine stores cars in two barns at his home. He has maybe 25 cars there at any given time, and keeps them all in these Carcoons. He swears by them.

You don't need it much bigger than the car, so simply measure up and go from there.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks @Ewan

I've not used the indoor carcoons, but we've had the outdoor ones for a good few years. They're brilliant. I've a size 3 (IIRC) which is for my E36 BMW and the Westy is a bit lost inside it. 

• Thanks 1

I have a couple of outdoor Carcoons and they are brilliant - other than I use a lightweight cloth cover over the cars first in case the wind picks up and rubs the Carcoon against the car.  I have lost paint off the tips of the door mirrors on my Sapphire Cosworth to this.  Since using the cloth cover beneath, there has been no further deterioration.

You can buy direct from Carcoon - 0161 737 9690, info@carcoon.com

• Thanks 1

I've got a couple of outdoor Carcoons that get used off and on for my cars.

my last single seater was built in one which was custom made by Carcoon to my dimensions.  it has the same footprint as their size-2 but with a reduced height which improves its stability in poor weather. the other is a bike bubble that I bought for storing unbuilt chassis.

The size-2 is built for cars of similar sizes to the classic mini and is a comfortable fit for my single seaters and wouldn't fit my Westfield.  I suspect you'd need a size3 or 3L for a Westfield.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the input. I checked my car the other night and it is 157cm wide. Would I be silly to get the size 3 which is 160cm wide? Just trying to keep it as small as possible to save some space in the garage as the next size up is 2m wide, but I don’t want it to be a nightmare to position the car correctly. I suspect the 3L would be more sensible, any thoughts?

They mention custom sizes, may be worth a try to see if you can get one a bit bigger than 160cm but not by too much

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/08/2022 at 18:57, Rhett Turner - Black Country AO said:

They mention custom sizes, may be worth a try to see if you can get one a bit bigger than 160cm but not by too much

Just on this, I spoke to both Demon Tweeks and Carcoon themselves and it seems they are not offering custom sizes at the moment. It sounds like it is due to Covid related staff shortages. Totally understandable, but frustrating as I need to buy now and can’t wait a year or so for things to get back to normal. I may see if I can limit the length by clamping across the back at the required length. Might look a bit odd but the car is only about 3.5m long so I really don’t need 4.25m.

My westfield spent a chunk of last winter in a carcoon sized for my BMW E36. The extra space in the bubble isn't a bad thing for the car... you just lose a bit more garden/ drive space and the bubble takes a few minutes longer to inflate.

• Thanks 1

I am also very pleased witm my two carcoon's (outdor), one works for 3?4? winters, car out of it is in great condition, no rust on brake disc etc. 

Additional space I use for some spare gearbox etc parts, just laying on some piece of woods. 

Dont know how indoor is made, but outdoor has 2 layers of material so dont know if it is ok to roll it to shorten?

Only cmplaiant I can say, had with inapriopriate filling of duty/custom forms from carcoon so I had to pay additional tax. First bought before brexit, no taxes, second after and tehere was some issues.  Still cheaper than garage, and worth the price. 

Oh, with outdoor there is also issue with snow - carcoon has not enough pressure inside to keep shape under the snow, so one has to remove snow manualy sometimes every day during winter. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both. Mine is the indoor one; my garage is not particularly dry and my car is painted onto old fibreglass so quite vulnerable to bubbling in damp conditions.

I can put some other stuff in at the back so as not to lose the additional space, plus I guess it will be a bit easier to position the car in.

The only other options seem to be those with frames and I don’t think I want anything like that. Hopefully all will go well!