possible Scotland NC500 for 2023

Benrobson2999 - Kent AO

I was chatting with the other half after doing the Alps trip recently and we both said we'd like to try and do the NC500 next year.  Has anyone done this on here? 

Were down in Kent so its a bit of a trek before (460 miles) you start the trip.  We said we'd like a day or two in Edinbrough so that would be a good start or finish point.  Then I guess decide clockwise or anti clockwise? I hear the West coast is best.  

What would be a good month to do it in Scotland? Weather and midge wise...

I would think B&B's as opposed to camping and aim for 100 miles a day (5 days touring around the NC500 loop) then a day either side to get to and from Scotland...

1500 miles ish total - 7-8 days...?

Any advice or suggestions welcome

Always fancied doing the NC500, agree about weather and midges!

Tend to agree about accommodation too, I’m not a big tent fan.

Interested to follow this topic   
Andy

• Like 1

We have done a Highland Tour for the past 4 years and have done most off the NC500. Will no doubt be up there again next year. 

We tend to go end of May or early June to avoid the midges. We also don’t bother with much of the actual NC500 route as a lot of it isn’t that great and actually misses some of the more spectacular roads up there.

We tend to travel up one side of Scotland stopping overnight on the way then spend a good 3-4 days with Ullapool as a base but have also stayed just north of Inverness. Then we follow the weather and go for 2-300 mile runs each day around the superb roads that are way up north. Then travel back down the other side. We always try and fit in a run through Glenshee either on the way there or on the way back. 

Highly recommended 👍

BA323E4D-AFF7-4DB6-9B3E-DA5B0FB25954.jpeg.6be09311f1fa16d7945b470a963d9ef0.jpeg

0EC630F0-BC7C-4413-A96B-3865925F4300.jpeg.0e7fabc7da84b2a8b3589b848e9be5a0.jpeg

29CB8822-3967-4BBE-9B53-563F34832514.jpeg.7342e24546935cecc45c24d1e766a1b2.jpeg

431AF0ED-14D0-4139-938B-89E1EC44B02D.jpeg.5ba9a9e1ecbb028a166b0a2558dc487d.jpeg

59F1E9A6-6B0C-4D10-B9FC-97EE35DEE0ED.jpeg.a4ad5d0d4ffdac526d5404dca41304bc.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ben if you do come up north give me a bell either on here or by pm

and we can hopefully arrange to meet up

id echo the sentiments of Chris the west / north side going clockwise is the best, however there are some interesting points to explore with your good lady amongst these are gardens and castle of mey, Dunrobin castle, if you don’t mind a walk then add Fyrish monument .

heading down to Edinburgh can be done with the minimal motorway by taking the Glenshee road and again coming north it’s possible to take the scenic route via aberfoyle the dukes pass then head for tyndrum , glencoe, a wee detour along Glen Etive (Skyfall fame ) then fort William and Inverness .

like I said give me a shout once we’re home / your ready and we can discuss if you want

cheers Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I am now booked on another euro trip so I won’t be able to do both so we are planning nc500 for 2024 now. But hopefully there is still a group going to give this ago this year

41 minutes ago, Dan1501 said:

Is there anyone else interested in going?

There’s a bunch of us doing a long weekend in June. Not the full NC500, but as mentioned I don’t rate the full route anyway. 

Not sure if there’s any spaces available as it was organised a while back (and not by me) - but having an MK shouldn’t be an issue 😁

• Like 1

All pods are taken but there is the facility to pod share and help split the costs. 16-18 June 2023 at Gairloch

Contact me or Gary Taylor if wanting to join in

• Like 1