• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

zetec oil spume

pistonbroke

Noticed that there is an unused pipe "outlet"? (think its a connection for breather) on the rear RHS of the Zetec rocker cover.

After a run,  oil has been blown out of the thing onto the inlet manifold and fuel lines etc.

Question is ...

Is this 'normal, its a new engine with 1400 miles on the clock.

Is there perhaps somethin missing?

Should the breather be fed to somewhere or have a collection point or somthin?

T.I.A.

pipe it up to an oil catch tank if it throwing loads and loads of oil out the piston rings are shot

Thanks , there isnt a lot of oil AFAICT , and the level doesnt seem to have dropped any, also pressure is OK.

I suppose the oil could simply be getting thrown out cause its really just an unstoppered  hole in the side of the cover

I wonder if I should just ignore it or plum a catch tank in if thats the normal thing to do.

I assume I cant be the only Zetec owner with this prob.

Thnx

I wonder if I should just ignore it or plum a catch tank in if thats the normal thing to do.

Yes this what you need to do.

Very helpful Paul. :)

Should I do a or b?

Yes.

:D

I assume you meant he should fit a catch tank.

Andy

Yes this what you need to do.

Very helpful Paul.

Should I do a or b?

Yes.
I assume you meant he should fit a catch tank.

Andy

ROFL

Thanks I get the message , is there a tank I can buy off the shelf?

Stepps has a section on his site somewhere, he made a home made one.

Andy

There are loads of tanks available - typically £50-100. If you're going to race (or even some track days) you will need a tank of at least 1 litre to meet regs.

In the mean time you could use a plastic squash bottle to catch the stuff coming out. Much of it will be water - hopefully. The tank needs to be located below the level of the outlet. Duct tape and cable ties job.

In it's former life in a Mondeo I think the pipe was plugged into the exhaust manifold. The gunge would be blown out the exhaust.

In it's former life in a Mondeo I think the pipe was plugged into the exhaust manifold. The gunge would be blown out the exhaust

Er, not quite - don't try that at home!

As standard they go into the air box for the OEM filter :0:0

That breather was actually plumbed into my airbox on my Zetec when on Ford injection, while looking at new induction kits a lot of them actually included a very small (tiny) cone filter for the end of that pipe.

Have been thinking about just dropping the tube into an old 1litre container though.

Have been thinking about just dropping the tube into an old 1litre container though.

Just as long as though there is a vent out of the container, otherwise if you had a serious problem which resulted in a lot of venting from the breather, your vent pipe would simply get blown off, and the oil would end up on the track still.....

Just as long as though there is a vent out of the container, otherwise if you had a serious problem which resulted in a lot of venting from the breather, your vent pipe would simply get blown off, and the oil would end up on the track still.....

I'm not talking anything as fancy as Stepps, just the tube sitting loosely in an old Coke bottle ... I'm all about the technology.

Is this 'normal, its a new engine with 1400 miles on the clock.

A catch tank is a good idea.

It is likely the engine is breathing a little heavier than would be the norm, as the rings will still be bedding in....

Thanks ( Nice car Stepps ) (drools over keyboard)

Just looked closer at the Mill and realised that the tube for the "dipstick" is 'free'  (i.e. not fastened to the engine )

Its just stuck in the hole, where the tube enters the sump. !

If I undo the top bit it just pulls out!

can't understand why oil don't come out here too.

Maybe the crank case has negative pressure?

(just a thought , could this mean "the engine sucks" ) :D