Which tracks for a novice from the west midlands?

Deano85

Clearly the only solution is to buy an MX5 to improve your confidence before you venture out with the Westfield 😄

Agreed on Thruxton - Coombe and Goodwood probably in the same bracket!

1 hour ago, Jenko said:

That's very unfortunate and quite frankly unacceptable......However, it's not the norm, and every time I've had tuition I have only come out of the other end being a better driver.....Tuition is probably the single best upgrade for lap times. So, assuming the people doing the tuition are competent, then it is worth  it.

Back to the OP.......Being a complete chicken when it comes to high speed stuff, I prefer the airfield type tracks with a smaller course and tighter corners, and very big run-offs. If you can make the journey down south (a little), somewhere like Abingdon (motorsport-events) run a really good track day (usually on Fridays). 

I have to addvit was the specific msv tuition as an add-on to their track days so not specific tution. Which is much more costly and beneficial I guess

Thruxton has a 90DB limit, that's never going to be easy to achieve in a Westfield 😞 - is my closest track too.

Donington not scary - I've only done it on two wheels. Maybe that makes a difference.... Lovely flowing track when you get it right. Unforgiving when you don't. 

I've done a few bike days on the Silverstone Southern Loop which is lovely and very forgiving (huge flat concrete run-off at most corners) that would probably be quite fun in a Westy as there's no super-long straights.

1 hour ago, Euan Hoosearmy said:

Thruxton has a 90DB limit, that's never going to be easy to achieve in a Westfield 😞 - is my closest track too.

Donington not scary - I've only done it on two wheels. Maybe that makes a difference.... Lovely flowing track when you get it right. Unforgiving when you don't. 

I've done a few bike days on the Silverstone Southern Loop which is lovely and very forgiving (huge flat concrete run-off at most corners) that would probably be quite fun in a Westy as there's no super-long straights.

Never knew that...That's very low!...Oh well, I definitely cant do it now 🙂

On 20/07/2022 at 10:59, Jenko said:

I do need to do a few different ones and Donington sounds fantastic.....One of my main issues no trailer....So I tend to drive my Westfield to the tracks. Irronically, Thruxton is my closest track, and also happens to be one of the fastest in the UK!...So I've stayed away 🙂 - 

Thru ton has very strict and lowest noise limits.

• 6 months later...

Llandow without a doubt is fantastic for beginners. Not too fast but fast enough, plenty of bendy bits but also a very easy to learn track that is great fun. Plus they tend to ignore noise tests 😂

• Like 1

Midlands you're spoilt for choice - Mallory Park, Donington Park, Castle Combe (careful of noise), Silverstone - All good circuits for beginners (and experienced) within easy reach.

Llandow - good run off and can be fun (bit flat)

Pembrey - decent run-off (flat) 

Snetterton - good for beginners, but bl**** miles away 🤣

Oulton Park, Cadwell Park, Ty Croes (Anglesey) - excellent circuits, further to travel and perhaps need a little more experience.

Croft - a long drive oop north, quick with decent run-off

Brands Hatch - can take hours to get there and back with the M25 car park

Blyton - flat, decent run-off for beginners

Three Sisters - kart track

Knockhill - great fun but a very long drive

Lydden Hill - next stop france and a bit zzzz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1